1979 900SS

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
markk900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

1979 900SS

Post by markk900 »

I finally am getting around to posting pictures of my 79 900SS that I've owned since 1988 or so. This is the way I like to ride it, though I've still got all of the fairing bits, and I do put the dual seat on once in a while.....

It has been "not in use" for the past 2 years due to insurance costs but its going in for a freshening up in anticipation of next year....
Mark Kaczmarczyk
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Mark,
Are those original Campagnolo Wheels?
If so in what condition are they?
Do you still trust them?
markk900
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Campagnolo wheels

Post by markk900 »

Peter: they are probably not original to the bike, but they are contemporary (or maybe even a bit older as they were standard on the 1977 Darmahs. weren't they?).

I do get myself worried about them every once in a while (I've accumulated 2 wheels, one from a 600TL and the other from an Allazurra) which should be a direct fit, but I'm looking for the right colour paint, and I will probably need to get 6-bolt rotors as well.

From what I have been able to tell, it is the Speedline wheels that were really high magnesium content, and corroded very quickly. The Campagnolos were "elektron", and I haven't heard any definitive evidence that they were any more prone to cracking or corrosion than the FPS replacements for the Speedlines....so for now I continue to use them and look carefully for corrosion. If I start to ride the 900 more regularly I'll finish off the other wheels and install them.
Mark Kaczmarczyk
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Mark,
If the wheels are from a Darmah, the year 1977 will be on the spokes somewhere.
I use the same wheels in my Hailwood Mille Special, they started to corode some years ago, so I had them blasted and powdercoated, they hold up good so far!
I clean/ inspect them after every ride though!

Post by Guest »

Peter,
If you noticed external corrosion, I would be highly concerned that the
damage was also going on internally where you can't see it. The only
way you find out is a) get them x-rayed b) when one of them
disintegrates underneath you (generally at high speeds when loads are
increased). One minute your wheel is there, the next second she's gone!
There were a lot of nasty accidents/fatalities on those wheels
(predominantly Speedlines) in the early 80's.

I would have any mag alloy wheel from that period surveyed / x-rayed
if it were mine. Nice bike though!

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”