Original ss fairing screen needs a polish

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Original ss fairing screen needs a polish

Post by andy »

HI I have found the original fairing screen for my 75 900ss but it has some marks and could do with a polish what would be the best way to do this.
Thanks Andy.
Image[/img]
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

easy http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=1116 this stuff works extremely well on windscreens
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Andy,
I don't know if you can still buy brasso, but I was told by a watchmaker a long time ago to use it to polish out light scratches.He used it for plastic watch faces. Apply with a soft cloth and rub gently in small circles and let it dry for 5 mins and then rub clean with a clean cotton cloth. A screen might take time, however. Big scratches are not posssible this way.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

The best stuff

Post by Gum »

This is best stuff, after you have used it you will have the best that it will ever be. If you dont like it, chuck it and buy another screen, really simple. Thanks Gum

http://meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+MC20506
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Nice find Andy; but are you sure it's for a 75 and not a later SS? It'll fit of course, but the black beading with chrome center strip, Ballanti sticker and the Plexiglas 233 stamp makes it look like a 78 onwards screen.
Are you talkin' to me?
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

DesmoKid wrote:Nice find Andy; but are you sure it's for a 75 and not a later SS? It'll fit of course, but the black beading with chrome center strip, Ballanti sticker and the Plexiglas 233 stamp makes it look like a 78 onwards screen.
It is from a 78. Do you know how the 75 screen looked?If it had beading and sticker.Thanks.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
DesmoKid
Mariana

Post by DesmoKid »

Hello Andy,
well, looking at brochures, period photos and unrestored bikes, shows that the 74/75/76 SS had neither the sticker nor the beading. I do not know what, if any, inscription was on the fairing for a 74/75/76 SS. I have been told that the screen was thinner and more prone to yellowing and cracking than those on later bikes. The Ballanti sticker and beading appeared during 77 but even then, the inscription was different than it was on th 78+ bikes, as you can see below on this very low mileage, unrestored 77 900SS;

I have even seen a 74SS restored with a 78+ screen and it looked weird; like putting red marzocchi stradas on a bevel.
Are you talkin' to me?
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i agree with the kid-my new 76ss had neither sticker or inscription on the screen and no beading--not to say that this was consistant across the board-as was ducatis want in those days
so much time--so little to say
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

I agree it looks like the screen will say in the shed thanks for the info.
Did they all use the nylon screws?
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

What are the numbers on a 76 screen ?
My SSD's screen is 233 and a lot less numbers

andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

Hi the screen I have has the same stamp as martins.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Andy the screws are genuine as well, and the screen fits straight on to the SS fairing same holes they all align perfectly
andy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by andy »

Martin I was talking to a guy who owned a 75 900ss seen in my wedding post he resprayed it 10 years ago matching the original colour.The screen had nylon screws which he said was original. Can this be true for the 75? Andy.
Last edited by andy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AUSDUCATI
75 900ss
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Might be so for the 75 I wonder if Dave in Brissy QLD still has his original screen, if so he might confirm this
Last edited by MartinMille BANNED on Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote: ... and the screen fits straight on to the SS fairing same holes they all align perfectly
Can't be original then :-D

(Just joshin' wid ya ..)

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”