860GT: From Basketcase to Bonza Rippa!

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.

860GT: From Basketcase to Bonza Rippa!

Post by Guest »

Chris Shannon's 860GT Project

16/09/2004: Well, as you can see, she's not pretty at the moment but I was happy finding her as all the important parts are in very good condition and as a project she is about 90% complete.

It wouldn't take a genius to figure out that this is going to be a long and arduous project but guarenteed to put a smile on my face every afternoon from about 4:30 till 10:00pm as I tinker away bringing her back to life.

Some things are proving inspiring already...

OK, they still need bead blasting and rebuilding but it was still nice to see them in a more respectable / inspectable state.

Lots more info and pictures to come as the project continues....
[/b]
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

860-isms

Post by BevHevSteve »

your a brave lad there Chris! HEy it looks like FUN in on your plate for a couple years or so. You got it all apart like that - ? Or did you take her apart yourself... Have fun with it Chris!
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Post by Guest »

G'day Steve,

Thanks for taking a look. She was already in bits when I got her so
some of the hard work was done for me. It was good in a way because I could see the condition of all the internals before I purchased her.

You know I'm gonna need to pay that great shop of yours a visit soon.... ;) :lol:

Cheers mate,

Chris
manitoufs
Mariana

Post by manitoufs »

Holy dog doodie Chris - that's a lot of parts. Your wife will never see you again.

BTW - that speedo/tacho bracket looks like one off of a 750 Sport.
George
65 250 Scrambler (2), 64 Monza, 72 250 Scrambler, 73 750 Sport (2)
74 GT (2), 87 F1, 90 750 Sport, 04 Multistrada, 06 Sport Classic

Progress Update: Carbies and Frame Mods

Post by Guest »

Progress Update: 17 August 2005

OK, well things are ticking along nicely on the project now, so I thought I'd
post a few happy snaps to keep you all amused at my expense!

Carbies: The 32mm DellOrto's came up a treat after a good session in the bead blaster. I also polished the float bowls on the wheel and they look great. Looking forward to rebuilding them as soon as all the steel screws come back from the platers.

Frame Modifications: After much deliberation, I decided that building up an 860 was never going to make me really happy as it wasn't the bike that I truly wanted. I wanted an SS and if I couldn't afford one right now, I'd just have to modify this 860 frame to do the job. I realise it will never truly be an SS but it will come pretty damn close when it's done.

First off, those girly 860 front down tubes had to go! They'll will be replaced with a more masculine set of SS style tubes with the bush mounting (because us blokes need that!). We're actually leaving the tubes in at present so we can locate the new tubes in situ when they arrive from the HMC Racing Workshop in Melbourne.

In these photos, you'll see my mate, Al Adamson weilding the angle grinder. I was happy doing the job myself, but quickly realised how much better a result Al gets than I ever could. He did his mechanics apprenticeship working on Ducatis back in the '70's and has been playing with them ever since. His personal collection is something to behold.

What I really came to appreciate was his handiwork in finishing off the various changes we decided to make. The superb cross and draw filing techniques that only come from years of practice and a lot of care. I really appreciate every hour Al has given me of his time. Somehow, I think he's enjoying it too! Sorry the picture is out of focus but you get the picture, his work is awesome.

So, the tail loop is off and a new SS style loop is being bent up courtesy of Al and Vee Two. All the unecessary 860 tabs and lugs have been removed from the frame and we're just waiting for Tony Hannagan at HMC to send over that set of SS front tubes so we can fit them and the rear loop.

To make all the required SS tabs, we're using Al's '76 750SS frame which he'd conveniently stripped down a few weeks earlier. We'll make up templates from it and cut and file up a new set of tabs for my bike. Then it will really start to take shape. Until then, I can just sit on it at night and make VRRRMMM VVVRRRROOOMM!! sounds till the frame gets finished.

Hope you enjoyed the report. More photos to follow as things take shape.

Cheers,

Chris

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”