The Swap

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
Osred
Diana

The Swap

Post by Osred »

Hello All,

Freshly delivered to Seattle from Santa Fe, this 1978 Ducati Darmah will be parting with its motor (6500 original miles) to accommodate my precious little beast below, a/k/a Darmola, which lost the ability to engage first gear last summer. Other than some crust-n-dust, the entire machine is in very good original condition.

My plan is to drop the 'new' Darmah motor into the Darmola, drop a 1982 Darmah motor (approx. 10600 original miles) into the 'new' Darmah, clean it up real nice, get her running just as nicely and sell to recoup some of the $$$ spent for both the '82 motor and the '78 complete bike.

I purchased the '82 motor this past January thinking that it would install into my frame without hassle. While it was in route from upstate New York, I realized the later 900SD series only had the electric starter, and no kick start. My legs are strong and so is my disdain for how the electric start primary cover looks. Well, I couldn't settle with this, leading me to buy a complete early Darmah for the sole purpose of getting my paws on a low-mileage kickstart squarecase motor.

However, being relatively new to the realm of bevel drive Ducati twins, I thought buying a complete '78 Darmah with a low-mileage engine would solve all my problems with not being on the road. What do you know!!!? I discovered that the starter gear would have to be removed before a SS primary cover could be fit. Also, my previous motor was ported, flowed and dual-plugged with use of 40mm Dellorto pumper carburetors. The 'new' motor is stock with 32mm Dellortos for which I will have to rebuild and install flip choke levers.

Spring is here and as usual, I must be patient, learn a great deal more about bevel drive twins, get the correct tools for the job, drop a bunch of cash and smile once the carbs are synched and I'm riding with the road flying below my feet.

Cheers - Chris

Barn Beauty - Recently Acquired

The Receiver

'82 Darmah Motor (Left), Rebuild Candidate (Right)
"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."
sgr
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by sgr »

good story...would like to hear more about it..
Osred
Diana

Looks Okay Under the Grit and Grime...

Post by Osred »

Some photos of the 'new' Darmah after a quick and fearless cleaning. Now that the grime and grit are off for the most part, I realize this has been a really well cared for machine. As you can see, the motor is out and being prepared for installation in the Darmola.

"Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme."

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”