900 S2 tidy up

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
Jon
Diana

900 S2 tidy up

Post by Jon »

Giving my S2 a bit of a tidy up, not aiming for concourse as a intend on riding it but would like it to be fairly close to original.

This is what she looked like when i got her, not too bad and fairly complete.

Got the frame back from the powdercoaters yesterday afternoon, Flame red seemed pretty close to the unfaded section of paint (inside the aircleaners).

Messed around and got reasonably close to the texture of the Marzocchi black using an undercoat of stonregaurd and top coat of Satin Black.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

S2

Post by Lumpy »

Looking good Jon. I`m impressed with the triple clamps. Amazing what you can do and the cash you can save by having a bit of a go yourself and trying something different. Certainly a very complete and orginal looking unit, good to see another bevel headed for the highway.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

You should have strengthened the chassis before powdercoating.
Those weak, half round and bend tubes near the battery are horrible at high speed cornering....!!
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Peter, You are talking about modifying the S2 / late MHR frame.
Since i have a S2, I have heard and knows about the problems even it is not that bad.

But i have never seen a modified S2 frame.

How do you make it stronger and more stable?

Best regards Per
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

www.bomotec.de
They have strengthened a lot of (electric start) bevel frame's in the eighties, without their work, bevels were not allowed on the German streets, at that time....!
Per Garbos
Diana

Post by Per Garbos »

Thanks for link,

Next time i am going to have my Ducati repaintet, i will give them a call and see what they can do.

By the way Jon, the restauration already now looks great. It is going to be a great bike.
The older SS frame are properly better, but still the S2 is a very fine bike to ride.

Best regards Per
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Got the Callipers back from being anodised at Queensland Nameplate Group and put new kits and pads in them, overall pretty happy other then a small miss where one of the bodies suspend wire was resting against the body. (bottom calliper, next to the right hand socket head bolt).

Master cylinders were a different story, the bores now have pits in them so will need to get them resleeved. :(

Dropped the front fork tubes off to get them rechromed.

Rebuilt the ignition switch and put the dash back together.

regards
jon
Last edited by Jon on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Looking good there Jon , I should be starting to post some pictures of the SSD resto next month sometime when all the fun starts , thanks for the anodizing link as well, how much did they charge you for all 3 calipers ?

With your master cylinders just take them to a brake place and have them fit S/steel sleeves in place , no more worries about leaking again

Cheers
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote: how much did they charge you for all 3 calipers ?
Cheers
They have a minimum charge of $100, I got 5 calipers (10 halves), the front brake hose splitter, 3 master cylinders, pair of levers and a handful of fittings off another project done for $170.
Martin Mille / SSD wrote: With your master cylinders just take them to a brake place and have them fit S/steel sleeves in place , no more worries about leaking again.
Cheers
Thanks Martin, Dropping them off to a guy on Monday, will post a link if he does a good job.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Nice work, Jon.

Keep the photos coming ...

Ciao

Craig
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Tidied up and rekitted the back shocks with 5W oil.

"Colurbond Dune" was the closest grey I could find to matching against an unstained part of the origianl paint.

By hand without the springs fitted it felt to have very little compression damping and reasonable rebound damping.

Didn't worry about refinishing the springs as I will check the suspension sag when I get the bike assembled and get some springs to suit.

When the spring rates are right I will try and sort the damping a little better.

regards
jon
Last edited by Jon on Sun May 17, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Have tracked down original rear indicators as it had aftermarket ones fitted when I got it.

If anyone ever says "I didn't see you indicate" I will find it very hard to believe, they are fairly large.

My son has come to the dark side and picked up a 1998 750 monster project, repairable right off with 22,000km.
It had been sitting in a shed since early 2000.
His tidy up thread is @ Dave's 750M tidy up

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Got my wheels painted using my high tech wheel painting jig.
"Topaz Metalic Gold" was a near perfect match with the unfaded section behind the cush drive.
Rattle can paint - "Holts Dupli-Color", code is "DSC23", available at Repco in Aus.

Descaled my fuel tank using another high tech tool.
Put lead loopover your wrist, put rest inside the tank and shake until your arms cant take any more, repeat as nescessary.

Sealed the tank using KBS Coatings tank sealer, tank and fairings are now at the paint shop so fingers crossed.

Got an original sales brochure and some front indicators (Fiat 850 Berlina) from eBay.
Now have a surplus early S2 sales brochure if anyone is after one (grey with Black Frame), picked it up when i couldn't find the right one.

regards
jon
Last edited by Jon on Mon May 18, 2009 1:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Topaz Metalic Gold, as in Mercury Topaz? Was it a spray can or did you use a spray gun and compressor?
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

looks like a can lid on the bin to me , might be worth a picture of the paint code on the lid

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”