900 S2 tidy up

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I'd be more worried about the blast media that got past the cylinder head "O" rings straight into your oil system

M
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Martin Mille / SSD wrote:I'd be more worried about the blast media that got past the cylinder head "O" rings straight into your oil system

M
I wasn't....................Until i read this!!!

The head faces should be pulled down tight enough to stop media entry, o ring is to stop oil seaping?

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I did test on a partly assembled engine, taped off as best I could around the kick shaft seal , made blanking plates for both out/in takes and after the blasting was done , I pulled the heads off and side cover to discover that media had in fact gotten inside the engine from both the side seal and "O" rings, and I used new O rings as well , this is another reason one should not pressure clean a Bevel engine.

Which you all the luck in the world Jon, that none got inside you engine

Marty
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Have pulled horizontal head off for a look, no sign of media in oil gallery or cylinder (there doesn't seem to be a smiley for relief).

Other than put on the exhausts I haven't done much else to the S2 as the fun vouchers got distracted badly again.

1975 R90S
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Beemers

Post by Lumpy »

Gotta love old Beemers. I just got a R1150GS Adventurer. It`s not that old, 04 model but I don`t have to kick it, can put bits and peices in the panniers and it has this strange riding position where I sit upright. It`s a nice change from the old Duc`s but by no means a substitute. I`m hoping to put in some serious k`s through the nations interiour at some stage and just could`nt see the SS coping well in that eviornment. Now if I can just get my so called mates to stop suggesting I need to sit down while I wee wee just cause I got a BMW all will be right with the world.
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

wow

Post by Lumpy »

Wow......I just wrote a naughty word begining with p and ending in s for urinating and when I posted it it came up as wee wee..........this technological age we live in............or yet another BMW feature.......the mind boggles
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Spent the day putting bits back on to the bike, boxes are getting fairly empty now. :-D

I eventualy got around to doing some on the electrics, main loom is in pretty good nick other than a couple burnt out terminals in the dash to main loom plug:

Replaced the whole plug as I couldnt get the replacement Molex plugs to locate properly in the housing.

The ignition pickup wires were shrinkwrapped the whole length and the bike ran pretty well so I figured that the pickup wires had been replaced.

Was a little disapointed to find this and some of the ugliest soldering I have ever seen.

Looks like the only the centre section of the pickup wires have been replaced changing back to the original wires before going into the motor.

I cant find replacement wire in the bevel heaven shop, has this been discontinued?

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Currently out of stock. Eventually we will hAve more but it will be at least 6 weeks.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

Been a mixed few days;
Wednesday:
Get home from work for 2 week break.

Thursday:
Sort insurance, CPT insurance, do last checkover and adjustments for roadworth first thing Friday.

Friday:
Go to start it to ride around for roadworthy, nothing other then clicking solenoid, into the back of ute and around for roadworthy, talked to guy and he was ok to do roadworthy without motor running.

Ring back at 2:00 thinking he must be finished by now (good guy but he gets a bit busy), "Sorry can't do it today but have a mate who can" so into back of ute again and off to 2nd roadworthy place.

Roadworthy in hand around to rego department, lady "Doesn't like the look of the frame number" & "The frame number is SS and compliance plate is S2" several phone calls later bike is registered 18 minutes for DMT closes for weekend.

Saturday:
Strip starter (had machined commutator and fitted new brushes during tidy up), can't see anything wrong, reassemble and it starts ONCE then back to clicking only.

Stripped again and check everything with multimeter, eventualy worked out that earth brush to end housing not making good contact, pulled it off and cleaned both surfaces with a file.

Starts better than it ever has.

Balance carbies, wash and tidy up, decide it is too late to polish side covers so acid wipe the one bit I have polished to dull it down similar to other covers.

Take it for a run to bed in brakes ect, about 15 minutes out everything goes quiet, blown main fuse, replace fuse and smokes it straight away.

Ute rescue, pull apart idiot light console and high beam indictator power wire terminal has shorted to earth wire terminal on another indicator light.

Brother inlaw around for tea so hinted that it would probably not be a great idea to sort out bike. :roll:

Sunday:
Early start, shrink wrap all the non insulated terminals in idiot light console.

Head off to bike show with son and his girfriend on the Mkiii Le Mans, pick up daughter on the way.

Starts running a bit off then looses one cylinder all together (bit doughy as 450 single and 2 up) but going to make it to the Story Bridge bike show or burn it.

Parked @ the show for the day.

Caught up with a few mates and checked out some nice bikes in show and in parking areas.

Made it home OK, clutch was getting a bit of a workout pulling off the mark.

Monday:
No spark on horizontal cylinder, swapped ignition boxes and fault goes with the box so box is dead.

So now the to do list is;

Track down a couple ignition boxes, 1 on and 1 spare.
Polish cases.
Find where i put the shock and fork decals so i didnt loose them.
Check for loose bolts.
Fix oil leak from timing plug hole.
Replace brake lines (think i have found someone who has ends same as originals)
Find 2nd bar end mirror, probably hiding with the decals.
Put some miles on it

All in all pretty happy the way it has come together.

jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Thats the reason why I smile when I hear,I will run it in on a big multi day ride,there are always little dramas,I am sweating on the pics from the Laverda blokes at the show on Laverdapedia,they must be a bit tired,big day

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”