A 73 Sport, USA to Australia ! The Advenuture !!!!!

Post pictures of your twin cylinder Bevel Drive Ducati (pre-1985) along with a description here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

everyones resto is different-but being the frame was bare i would have resprayed it-but i guess there is value in original stuff

steve
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

No

Post by Gum »

Not at all. photos are deceiving, although its nice the zinc will fade and its really just put right and everything cleaned up and correct for another 30 plus years to enjoy. Thanks Gum.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Painting

Post by Gum »

As long as I can get away with it im not doing a thing that doesn't need to be done, I can paint it anytime. You can restore this bike a thousand times, but only can it be original once. At my age im sure time is not an issue, maybe when I retire I can restore it then. Thanks Gum.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

exactly right gum-as i said -everyones resto is different-good to get your take on what your trying to achieve-look forward to seeing more

steve
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Im Back

Post by Gum »

Back from some time away. I have sent off the rims, front and rear shocks to have the once over. I should have them back next week, then some new tyres and I can get on with it. I have all the chrome work done that Im doing at this stage. Very happy with it, some of the stamping has been filled or over polished, it was unreasonable for them to make it like new. Like they said, to remove the pits ETC its inevitable that it cant look like the new finish. Still im happy to have the original parts rather than new ones. Pics to come very soon.

Gum

PS Yes its been inside for the last 5 weeks, the wife is happy.

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Ok Gum , Now that you are well and truly back in OZ , just what did this little journey coast you ? Bike , tickets bla bla bla ???? You never did you ;)
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

thats a weird photo-looks like a ducati lawn edger-with that disc sitting there.
looking good though
so much time--so little to say
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Pic

Post by Gum »

I agree its a bit weird, the really funny thing is that the picture on the wall is square, it did my head in and I have checked it 10 times, its perfect. The cost, wait until its all done, it will not be cheap but I was not after a cheap bike, a good one will do. Thanks Gum.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Heads and Headlight questions ???

Post by Gum »

Gday, I have started to do some preliminary research on the engine. [ while the wheels and suspension is being dealt with ] I have been told the valves will need replacing because of the unleaded fuel. The seats will be fine. Any opinions ?????? Thanks Gum

http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... =9552#9552

http://www.bevelheaven.com/~BB/phpBB2/v ... php?t=2313
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Some work is done.

Post by Gum »

Gday, I have had the wheels trued up and new tyres fitted. Both front and rear suspension went to a local bloke for new seals, service etc. So the bike is now rolling and have put it in the garage so I can now finish it all ready for the engine to be gone thru then fitted. Seat is original and needed a little stitching, so I took it of, gave it a little stitch and glued it back on. Thanks Gum.

MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Re: Wheels

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Gum wrote:I have started on the wheels. Cleaned the spokes, primed and painted, rubbed and painted again. New Old Stock Nipples from Road and Race. Cleaned the rims, should have a rolling Chassis soon. When I get the front hub back from Vapour blasting that will go together. Thanks Gum

Question for you Gum

When you did your spokes and you rubbed them back did you use any primer ? or just use spray paint from a can ?

Wondering if there is anything to gain from copper and than nickle plate before painting them ?

Any thoughts ?

Cheers
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Spokes

Post by Gum »

I took them back to bare metal on the buff, cleaned and primed. Then done with engine enamel and baked in the oven. They look original now, chipped and by no means perfect. Im sure they will rust again, but the bike is not going to used much and not in the rain. I didn't want to go and zinc them then paint, im sure these will see me out as far as this bike goes. Im very happy with the look, not over done. Thanks Gum.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

More done

Post by Gum »

Gday, I have bolted up all the front end and it looks great. The caliper has no bleed nipple from what I can see. Its amazing how long it takes to clean each piece before bolting it back on. Thanks Gum

machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Im sure they will rust again, but the bike is not going to used much and not in the rain.
Yeah. Thats what I said before I got mine licensed too. My wife reminds me regularly. Careful, Gum, riding one of these is kinda addictive!

Nice job ... it's looking really good.! Keep the story coming.
Gum
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Will do

Post by Gum »

Sure will, a lot of stuff is still not right, the brake line, the blue nipple/connector ETC. It will all look and be better when she is done. I have just done another lot of Zincing, all the little parts that are now needed. Just cant believe how good it looks for a 36 year bike, the styling is just art.
Thanks Gum.

Return to “Bevel Head Twins Photo Gallery”