250 cafe custom, #2

Post pictures of your single cylinder Ducati along with a description here.
joe1028
Mariana

Post by joe1028 »

hi steve.......thanks sir ..i'm one step ahead of you my friend and used that exact sealer after roughing the tank up with some sheetmetal screws and rinsing with hot water and soap. i have been using it for a few years with fairly good luck..i did have it sheet off on a chopper i built with a new steel tank i modified. i degreased and cleaned it good with acetone but it still came loose in less than a year! only good thing was the tank was fuel tight and the sealer didn't do any damage....i actually hate fiberglass tanks as they just do not work with modern fuels....i along with everyone else i know usually drain tanks if not in use...have a good one,joe@vcycle
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

I'm going to use Caswell to seal a fibreglass tank on my 250. I've looked at the instructions on the website and it indicates using acetone to clean the tank out with. Is this safe for use on a fibreglass tank? If not what should I use?

By the way, very, very nice bike. All restorations don't need to be concours original types.
joe1028
Mariana

Post by joe1028 »

hi, if the tank is new fiberglass i would not put any acetone or mek in it....hot water and soap...rinse it good..dry with air...
try to use non oxyegenated or race gas and one other thing is do not store the bike long with fuel....seems even a well coated fiberglass tank has issues after time .....
i still do some restorations but i think there is much more to building a custom bike and not just replacing parts...

have a good 4th........joe@vcycle
Robin172
Mariana

Post by Robin172 »

Thanks.
The tank is pretty old, I've had the bike nearly 20 years and I only think I've cleaned it out once and that was with soap and water.

It's on a racing bike and I normally use a 50/50 mix of Avgas and premium. I've sometimes found a sticky residue on the carb if I use full race fuel and to be honest I've never really noticed a difference in performance with the race fuel.

I always drain the tank at the end of every race meeting.
raptor
Mariana

Re: 250 cafe custom, #2

Post by raptor »

joe1028 wrote:Imagehi, one of the cafe bikes finished up...
I have recently joined your group and have just discovered your 250 cafe racer ,and what a beauty it is ,where did you get the seat ,what trim is the engine ,are you going to the Bristol Italian day in April .thank you for sharing Raptor
DesmoBro
Mariana

Post by DesmoBro »

Sweet Cafe
geomoto
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by geomoto »

You do nice work.
George Patrick
906 226 6360

Return to “Single Cylinder Photo Gallery”