Mag Style Wheels-Good, Bad, Ugly

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Phil Porter
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Mag Style Wheels-Good, Bad, Ugly

Post by Phil Porter »

I would like to put a set of Mag style wheels on my 75 860 GT, preferably the Campy style, or something like Steve Allen shows in his photo here on the forum. Which ones are the most reliable? What sort of availability is there at what price range? I think they look great, and I like the idea of having a whel that is easy to fix a flat on, unlike my current spoke wheel and tube setup. Can you mount the new rubber on them, and does it affect the handling? And last but not least, what brand of tires go well with the 860? Right now I am running Avons, and like them. Thanks for any help.
Phil Porter
Gas it up!!!.....Are We There Now?
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Marchesini makes the 18" Campagnolo style 5 spoke gold wheels on special demand.
Extremely expensive, though!!
Phil Porter
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Phil Porter »

Thanks for the reply. Any idea of just how expensive? Am I the only one interested in these types of wheels? If enough people were interested, maybe a small batch could turn into a small run, and possibly reduce the price. Anybody else interested? Phil
Gas it up!!!.....Are We There Now?
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

I met someone from the Marchesini factory at the World Ducati Weekend in Italy about two years ago.
The 5 spoke Campagnolo was on display then, they started to make them for vintage racers, museums, collectors etc.
If I remember well they were about 1500 US dollars a wheel!!!
Thats 3000 dollars for a set!!
Too expensive for me, altough I'm always interested in buying new 18"" 5 spoke gold mag wheels for my MHR Special.
Currently i have the 1978 Campagnolo wheels in my bike, but i'm warned about the weekening of those mag wheels over time.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”