'78 900ss wheels - question.

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Purp1
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

'78 900ss wheels - question.

Post by Purp1 »

I have begun a build on a 78 Darmah and will be using a 900ss darmah frame, swing arm and standard marzocchi forks.

Intend on replacing wheel assemblies that came with the purchase, compagnolo and speed line with 40 spoke mock ups.

Does anyone know if the hub width from early 900's will fit cleanly into the configuration above?

Thanks for any help or advice
GeoffW
Mariana

Re: '78 900ss wheels - question.

Post by GeoffW »

It's 30 years since I did this on my 79 Darmah, but it ended up with '77 or '78 SS hubs and Akront rims - can't recall what spacers I needed but I don't recall any great hassle...i.e. no problem fitting them in.
Purp1
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Purp1 »

Thank you for this bit of information :P
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

Keep in mind that the wire-wheels have a 229 mm rear disc and Darmah a 280mm.
So You need to find the correct plate and maybe the right caliper (can't remember if they're the same).

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

You will have to go through the SS parts book to get the correct hubs, bearings, spacers etc. as these were the only models that used both wire-spoked and cast wheels. You can reuse the cush drive/rear sprocket holder. If you are keeping the bigger rear disc you will need an adapter to mount the disc to the hub. I have noticed these for sale on Ebay lately. Your other option is to use the smaller disc but this will also require a different rear caliper mount. I fitted wire-spoked wheels to my SS a few years ago to replace the Speedline wheels. After getting the parts everything went together with no problems.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

4 bolt and 6 bolt adaptors are easy to get hold of for 900SS wire hubs.

If you buy wheels, I have a new 6 bolt rear adaptor for 280mm discs in my spares and will sell it to you for cheaper than you can buy them retail! No use to me , Ive just sold my spare to needs wire wheel set (complete with adaptors and 4 bolt discs all round, and tyres). Rear adaptor has bearings etc fitted (new)

I may even have a set of 4 bolt original front wheel SS adaptor plates tucked away too (have to check the parts boxes) -no bearings in these though

Let me know

regards
Grant (I am in OZ)
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Purp1
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Purp1 »

Thank you all this is great information, as I believe this is the direction I am going to take and want it to be the least painful.
Old Racing spares has the complete hub assembly or individual components. I would like this to be the least expensive as possible but wheel replacement does not appear to be that. Personally like the look of the spoked wheels much better than cast.
Purp1
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Purp1 »

Grant

Let me know if you come up with the four bolt adator plates for the front. I saw your post on the disks, thank you.

No worries I have the bearings. When I obtained the Darmah I am building it came with enough spare parts, new and used to build almost two complete bikes. Am still going through parts to decide what I am going to use and what to sell.

Ultimate plan is to build CAFE from the SS and not worry about numbers correct build, just nice bike.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”