Buchanan Excel rims, spokes

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

Buchanan Excel rims, spokes

Post by rjk40 »

Anybody have experience with non-polished vs polished Excel rims and spokes from Buchanan?
Price for polishing is quite steep, and although I well appreciate the appearance benefit, I would like to see a visual comparison between polishing and not polishing.
Anybody seen the difference?
Thanks in advance.
jakebrake
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Buchanan Excel rims, spokes

Post by jakebrake »

My only experience with Buchanan was with the original Borrani rims on my 74 Sport. Both were pitted, and the front was pitted so deep that when a friend metalsmith attempted to polish them she just dug a few holes and then quit. Buchanan did a fantastic job straightening and polishing, well worth the cost IMO. But "semi-polished and anodized" might be easier to maintain (until the anodizing breaks down) They also custom-swaged new stainless spokes and media-blasted them to closer resemble the original painted steel.
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Thanks, jakebrake,

I will put the info to good use.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The Excel rims are a pretty high polish and anodized to start with and they look god unless you want them to look like chrome.
The same is true for the spokes, they have a good shine and they will stay that way with routine cleaning. If they are polished you will have the glitter effect which you may or may not want. Both products are very high quality and Buchanans really know their stuff if you need assistance.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”