900ss rear wheel installation

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
notanumber
Mariana

900ss rear wheel installation

Post by notanumber »

The story so far ... I think I've noted and paid attention to the little 'features' that trap the unwary (it's just a back wheel for heaven's sake) so I now know that:
- the LHS (inside, disk side) jaw is the thinner item of the four (5mm compared to 6.5mm, and on mine it is spot marked with a drilled dimple);
- the right hand (chain side) axle bush has a raised face (ridge) on the LH (inside) end;
- the left hand bush (brake side) has a plain, flat end.
So now all I want to do is refit the wheel, having not replaced anything other than routine consumables like the chain, cleaned everything & re-zinced several items, checked the torque settings on the cush drive bolts (I lubricated it internally with silicon grease) and all the brake disk fasteners. So not expecting any surprises ... but it's a Ducati.
When I came to re-fit the wheel (never having done so before) it seems to have grown - too big to inside between the swinging arm. Not a lot, maybe I mm or so, but it didn't seem right, just didn't want to fit into place so I checked & re-checked all the above features.
Is there something else that I've overlooked? I finished up using a screwdriver to 'encourage' it into place - is that normal? There is no tightness and it is smooth to rotate - but it didn't exactly slot into place.
Any guidance welcomed, please!
Thanks,
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Re: 900ss rear wheel installation

Post by BevHevSteve »

Richard I am going to bet you swapped out the bearings in the sprocket carrier right?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

Steve,
No, the bearings were (are!) fine and didn't need replacement.
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

you must have changed something. Having to pry the wheel in is not right...
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

Steve,
I was hoping you (or someone) would say they're often like that ... but I can't think of anything I changed. The carrier bearing looks to be located as originally. My aim was only to change the chain and sprocket, refresh the cosmetics, refinish the painted spokes as original, re-zinc a few items, re-tighten the sprocket bolts (which turned out to be a bit loose on the carrier, but not enough for it to become damaged), new tab washers. I know you'll be thinking 'what's he not mentioning' but honestly I can't think of anything!
Richard
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

Steve,
In case it helps, having just gone out to look, here is what I can see: the 'internal' cush drive unit drive lines up exactly with the end of the main body; the outer race of the bearing lines up exactly with the steel holder/bush it is located in. Anything else I might check?
Richard
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Take the rubber spider and flip it so the ring that holds the parts together is seated on the wheel hub. If it is not sitting on the hub it will hold the sprocket carrier about 1mm too far out. You still may have to pry the carrier over a bit as you wiggle the wheel in place.
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

Thanks for your new suggestion. I've removed the wheel again (good practice?) and separated the cush drive to check what's what ... I think my original effort was OK as the alternative meant the sprocket carrier didn't neatly align with the outside face of the cush drive, the problem becoming worse. Maybe that's how it was made in the first place?!
Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

RE: My asking about changing out the sprocket carrier bearings - that whole setup can be installed correctly or just as easily too far outbound or too far inbound. If too far inbound the sprocket carrier sits away from wheel, if too far outbound the wheel will not slip into place. It is easy to NOT be correct here, but, it is easy to correct if done wrongly....
notanumber
Mariana

Post by notanumber »

Thanks Steve

So, is there something I can measure to check that the sprocket carrier assy. is in the proper location (then to be corrected as necessary) - or have I misunderstood?

Richard
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

set it on the wheel. If it is all the way down you are good to go. Then remove it and put some wrinkled up aluminum foil between the bearing and the sprocket carrier and reinstall. did it go all the way down again or is it pushed out? If so remove it and measure how fat the aluminum is and drop the bearings that much farther into the carrier. The outside surfaces should be about flush I am not aware of any measurement. It isn't rocket science, I have replaced sprocket carrier bearings 3 times on 3 different bevels and never once installed, taken more than a couple mins to sort out the proper placement on the bearing stack so that it fits where it is supposed to fit. I sounds like the bearing stack is just sitting outbound of where it needs to be, just tap it in wiht a dead blow about 1 mm and reinstall. Did it fit? If it made things worse or just made the carrier NOT sit how it should then that isn;t the problem, look at the hub that you disassembled to respoke, something must be hanging up in the setup giving you a mm extra.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”