Rims on 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
droy
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Rims on 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler

Post by droy »

Hi everyone,

I'm restoring my 1970 450 Scrambler. The next big project is to add new rims. I've been looking on eBay at rims, but having trouble finding my size. The front rim width measures 19" x 2.75" and rear width measure 18" x 3", with 36 spokes. I have not seen any rims this size. They are Baretta rims.
I contacted one seller who says the rims on the 450 Scrambler are 1.85 X 19" front and 2.15 X 18" rear and that my rims may not be original. They certainly look original.

Can someone give me advice on this matter? What's right size, and a good place to get rims? I'd like to get similar profiles as the originals.

Thanks
David
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Rims on 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler

Post by Craig in France »

droy wrote:I'm restoring my 1970 450 Scrambler. I've been looking on eBay at rims, but having trouble finding my size. The front rim width measures 19" x 2.75" and rear width measure 18" x 3", with 36 spokes. I have not seen any rims this size. They are Baretta rims. I contacted one seller who says the rims on the 450 Scrambler are 1.85 X 19" front and 2.15 X 18" rear and that my rims may not be original. Can someone give me advice on this matter? What's right size, and a good place to get rims? I'd like to get similar profiles as the originals.
Hi David,

1. Sizes
Both you and the eBay seller are right! :shock: How can this be? Well, the confusion is caused by different ways of measuring, and quoting, rim sizes.

To start with, here are the original specs:
Rear: 18" x 3"
Front: 19" x 2½"

Sources:
Catalogo Ricambi, edizione definitiva
Owners handbook (page 34)
Guida al restauro ed alla manutenzione della Ducati Scrambler, Moto Ciclismo
... and so on.

So you have the right size rims. But wheel rims are no longer measured in this way. Instead, what was then called a 3" rim is now called a WM3 and this has an internal dimension of 2.15". And a 2½" rim is now a WM2 which has an internal dimension of 1.85". So, like I said, both you and the eBay seller are right!

2. Manufacturer:
Same as I replied previously ...
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4467

SCRs came with two makes of wheels: Pietro Beretta, like yours (p.s. note the correct spelling of BEretta). And (and more commonly): Radaelli. Beretta no longer make wheels; but Radaelli do and they are available from, for example, the Amici dello Scrambler.

HTH

Craig
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Rims on 1970 Ducati 450 Scrambler

Post by Craig in France »

Craig in France wrote: ... but Radaelli do and they are available from, for example, the Amici dello Scrambler.
And here (ref #s 40-012 & 40-013)

http://www.italian-motorbikes.com/Pagin ... nglese.htm

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”