Fps wheel repair.

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
DUCKGRUNTER
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Fps wheel repair.

Post by DUCKGRUNTER »

My Father master machinist and Ducati nut :rad: recently repaired a rear FPS wheel that the cush drive flange came loose broke all of the bolts and damaged the threads beyond repair. i thought i would document the repair. He decided it would be best to simply drill and tap new holes rather than Heli coil them. he refaced both mating surfaces and suggested i make a paper gasket to go between the mating surfaces. this will act like a clutch plate and keep the two metal surfaces from moving. apparently that is a old machinist trick if you don't have alot of material to hold slip a piece of paper between the part and the vice jaws and it will grab up tighter and may prevent slippage. He is interested in performing the repair for others. please contact me if interested.
1966 Norton
1980 Darmah
1981 CX100 Dressed up like LM1
2000 KDX220
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2008 GT1000
Craig in France
Paso 906

Re: Fps wheel repair.

Post by Craig in France »

Interesting - thanks. Btw, your father might be interested to know that Ducati (well, actually FPS, of course .. :) ) solved the problem by installing 2 roll pins.

It's a modification that anyone with an early FPS rear wheel should do :vroom: .

Ciao

Craig
DUCKGRUNTER
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DUCKGRUNTER »

nice...Thanks... we discussed that maybe i will have to have him add some in the damaged thread holes. was this also their fix for the sprocket to carrier union? my carrier also has egged holes that is the next fix. Thanks
1966 Norton
1980 Darmah
1981 CX100 Dressed up like LM1
2000 KDX220
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2008 GT1000
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

DUCKGRUNTER wrote: <snip> Was this also their fix for the sprocket to carrier union? My carrier also has egged holes - that is the next fix.
(Just to be clear: I assume you're talking about pieces 21 and 28 in the diagram below ...)

... in which case, the answer is no. Because there isn't normally a problem here.

For the holes in the carrier to have become ovalised, the bolts must have come loose at some time. To prevent this happening, it's important to use new tab washers, items 19 & 20, each time when changing the sprocket. I know these washers have been hard to find at various times in the past; but Steve (for example) now has them. And it doesn't hurt to Loctite the nuts too. And/or use nylocs.

P.s To deal with the ovalisation, you may need to drill the holes out and sleeve them - can't say without seeing the extent of the damage, can't remember how much metal you have to play with. One for your father, I think ... :)

Ciao

Craig

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”