Improving my Brembos

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
welshmally
Diana

Improving my Brembos

Post by welshmally »

I have recently refurbed my front calipers - new seals etc, but the performance still falls into the 'OK' category - they might have been great for 1980, but lack a bit compared with modern setups. I realise that I would have to completely re-vamp the system to get a big improvement, but any tips to optimise performance would be great. I've got an after-market lookee-likee master cylinder (Grimeca) which feels about the same as the original (without the leak!) and was half the price.....

(1980 900SS BTW)

Cheers
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Improving my Brembos

Post by wdietz186 »

You could try some different brake pads. I've got some EBC HH pads in my race bike and they work well. Ferodo race compound pads work well too.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Thanks WD.

As a matter of interest, is it possible to swap the fork legs over and mount the calipers behind, and if so, is there any value in doing so? It's not something that has actually crossed my mind before.

Thinking in a hypothetical world, as I can't afford any major alterations at the moment, what are the alternatives to the standard Brembo's! I know a guy over here in the UK completely changed the front end and used a Lockheed setup........
in-two
Diana

Post by in-two »

A quick ramble about brakes that might help, I seem to remember that the Brembos on my '75 ss were pretty good when working well but is your problem "feel" or actual braking performance? They should be able to lock the front wheel easily at anything below about 30mph. A master cylinder with a smaller piston will give you more clamping pressure but more lever travel and a soggier feel. This is easier to moderate at the limit of grip and so preferred for racing. Most road riders prefer a 'hard lever' (don't we all !). If they really don't work well then look for dodgy glazed pads, air, squishy brake lines, wobbly discs etc. Air is the most likely culprit, they are bastards to bleed, as I'm sure you know.
Moving the calipers to the back of the forks is much less for braking, makes no/little difference, but very good for handling because it moves the weighty calipers nearer to the steering axis reducing wobble and chatter at the limit, again this is not usually an issue with road riders unless you are nuts...
It also doesn't compromise cooling as some claim, our endurance bikes with a rear caliper AP setup would flash their discs red hot at the end of the mistral straight at Paul Ricard and still stop, just! It's a more elegant setup and there are some small structural advantages but I still don't think its worth the faff on a road bike. Hope this helps.
'75 900 SS
"don't get behind on your cheating, but don't get ahead either" Cook Nielson, California Hotrod
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

There are adapters out there to use the later 4 piston Brembos and you could probably adapt some larger dia. rotors but on the street it really isn't worth the effort or cost. As InTwo stated a smaller bore m/cyl. will give a bit more braking with less effort but the tradeoff is more lever travel/mushier feel.My racer has a Yamaha 14mm master on it and works ok but the pads make the biggest improvement for the least money.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Thank you both. All useful information. My brakes really aren't too bad, I just wanted to see if there were any tweeks I could do to optimize performance. New pads it is....

Cheers
Hugh
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

welshmally wrote:Thank you both. All useful information. My brakes really aren't too bad, I just wanted to see if there were any tweeks I could do to optimize performance.
+1 to the comments above. For example, I run a 12mm m/c on my SSD* and have no concerns about the brakes. And certainly not worth changing over to another manufacturer's system, I wouldn't have thought ...

Another thought, tho', Hugh: if you didn't change the lines as part of your overhaul, that's gonna be the biggest difference you can make.

Ciao

Craig

* As fittted by a previous owner. Initially, I changed it back to the original spec. 15mm, but didn't like that at all; so went back to the 12.
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

Braided hoses fitted a while back - instant improvement!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

welshmally wrote:Braided hoses fitted a while back - instant improvement!
Yeh, kinda suspected you'd be ahead of me ... :-D
morini
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by morini »

and dump the spitter............use one hose per caliper and you remove a major air pocket problem. It's a big improvement over the standard set up.

Chris
welshmally
Diana

Post by welshmally »

So 2 banjos on the master cylinder - I guess I would need a longer bolt....... Is there a standard part that I can order?

Cheers
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

FYI - I stock a few different options for stainless brakeline kits for bevel drives, 3 line kits similar to original spec, same but getting rid of the steel tube [manifold direct to caliper] and also 2 line kits that go directly from master to each caliper. Yes we also stock single and double banjo bolts, whatever you need for your brembos. https://store.bevelheaven.com go to the brake related section.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Ralph M
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Ralph M »

I've been toying with the idea of by passing the splitter too - did the same on my Triumph Speed Triple and it worked a treat.
One thing bothers me tho - how do you rig up a brake light switch as this is part of the splitter assy - for the UK MOT tests?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”