Tubed tyres for 860GT

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
eternally_troubled
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Tubed tyres for 860GT

Post by eternally_troubled »

Hello!

Another possibly stupid question:

My bike appears to have the original spoked wheels, fitted with some kind of Dunlop tubed tyre.
I have been reading on here that you all reccomend Avon AM26 tyres, but I guess these need new rims, as they are tubeless, right?

Given that I don't want to replace the original wheels, what *tubed* tyres would you suggest using? (or have I misunderstood somehting?)

Cheers!
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Tubed tyres for 860GT

Post by wdietz186 »

The tires will work just fine with tubes.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I run these AM26 with tubes and rim strips of course on my sport, 900SS [both spoked wheel borranis] as well as EPM Magnesium wheels and FPS aluminum wheels........... You are good to go.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
eternally_troubled
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by eternally_troubled »

That's interesting! All becomes clear now :)

I have used the AM26 on more modern bikes and been pleased with the results, so this is good news.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I think the difference between the older tires and the tubeless is the shape of the inner edge of the bead.Tubeless rims have a ridge on the inner side of the rim about 1/2" from the outer bead seat.It is there to retain the tire in case of sudden deflation and the tires have more of a square edge to help retention. That is why tubeless tires are such a pain to break the bead on. On regular rims the edge on the tire doesn't have anything to act as a stop.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”