Caliper/Disc alignment - not the usual issue/fix.

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
DM860SS_90003*
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Caliper/Disc alignment - not the usual issue/fix.

Post by DM860SS_90003* »

In refitting the calipers to the MHR I noticed that the right hand one doesn't sit centrally over it's disc - they are a few mm "out" to the naked eye.
The caliper/disc on the left hand side is spot on i.e. the mating face of the caliper halves sits right above the centre line of the disc.
Neither caliper/disc combination appears to have any run-out when the wheel is spun (again, to the naked eye).

The layman's explanation is of the R.H. caliper sitting too closely to the fork leg in relation to the disc....or the wheel/disc sitting too far across from the R.H. fork/caliper if you prefer. Regardless, it cannot be corrected by the usual caliper/disc alignment fix of caliper/fork shimming - which would only make things worse.
Caliper and fork mounting faces are clean and in direct contact.

I can get pads in and spin the wheel easily enough with no particular grabby points.

"Top of head" thinking ran from doing nothing* > shimming the disc off the face of the wheel > shaving the reverse of the caliper mounting ears > doing nothing > open a beer!

Experiences and thoughts appreciated.

* No apparent problems pre-hibernation
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Go with the Beer option. As long as the caliper isn't rubbing the disc or the pads too thin and letting a piston pop out and leak, a bit of offset won't hurt a thing.
DM860SS_90003*
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by DM860SS_90003* »

I took your advice x 2 :) - Cheers.

I had thought it should be OK but the availability of various shims to cater for "the other situation" made me question it.

It turns out that my original m/c is pitted so I've reassembled with a (cough) ZXR750 5/8" remote reservoir m/c I had lying around and we're inching towards roadworthiness.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I've used one of those m/c's on my belt 900 race bike for years,great piece and cheap! Can loft the rear wheel and have good control too.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”