Wheel restoration

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
blaat!
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Wheel restoration

Post by blaat! »

Hi All
I'm about to restore my Mach 1 wheels and I need some advice. I prefer to do as much of the work myself to save $$$ and because I like doing the work. I'm planning to polish the hubs myself, replace the spokes with new ones, and have the rims re-plated. Unfortunately, I noticed a significant wobble in the rear wheel.

These are my questions:

1. Should I have the rear wheel straightened and trued before dis-assembly and re-plating to guarantee that it is salvageable?

2. Will it be less expensive to just buy new rims? I'm not going for an all original restoration on this one.

3. Any recommendations for a polishing compound and sealer for the hubs?

4. Will I save any $$$ by lacing the wheels myself? I've read up on it quite a bit and I understand offset, lacing patterns, etc. Then I could just drop them off to be trued.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
-Jim

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1995 Ducati 900 SS/CR
1966 Ducati Mach 1
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

That rim is past it and will not be safe,invest in ally replacements if its a rider you want.
gioto3
Diana

Post by gioto3 »

I did myself the wheels of my 450 scrambler.
From your pictures it seems the rims are the steel chromed Radaelli ones, no worth to polish them, just discard, you can find new Radaelli rims quite cheap and to re-chrome them will be more expensive.
I laced and trusted my wheels, it's possible and quite fun too if you have a little of patience.
And you don't necessarily need professional tools except a good nipple wrench.
You can have a look at my work in an Italian forum to have an idea.
http://tinyurl.com/3ko5mur
And I suggest you to use stainless steel spokes.
Good job :)
Giovanni
1980 Ducati 900 SS Darmah
1977 Ducati 125 six days
1972 Ducati 450 Scrambler
1953 Ducati 65 Sport
1949 Ducati CCC 60

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”