Unusual Cush Drive Question.

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Steve 1976
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Unusual Cush Drive Question.

Post by Steve 1976 »

Hi guys, I am new here, just bought my first bevel. I have just got a 1978 Darmah, I am planning doing some work and I have noticed that it looks like the rear wheel has been welded up at the cush drive.
Does this sound right? Why would that have been done and is it safe?
it doesnt seem to effect the ride or performance but its something I find a little odd.
Your input would be appreciated. Thanks
garryc
Parallel Twin

Post by garryc »

G'Day Steve,
welcome to the 78 darmah club have a look at previous posts in this section as darmah sprocket carriers cush drives have been visited on a few occasions.
Not sure of your knowledge but I took a trip to Phil at Road and Race with my wheel in the back of the car after i tried everything i could think of
Steve 1976
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Why would it be welded?

Post by Steve 1976 »

My main question relates to the welding of the wheel and carrier. Is there a logical reason? Should I even worry?
I have searched the forum but find nothing related to welding...
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

obviously that is something someone did to try to get around replacing something that broke. I would strat looking for a new wheel and sprocket carrier. That is going to beat up your transmission.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

G'day Steve,

Do you mean the join between the wheel and the female section of the cush drive has been welded around it's perimeter ? if so I'm not aware of that being a common problem, but certainly the sprocket carrier ( male part ) had a habit of elongating the mounting holes if the bolts came loose. This would cause movement (jumping)of the assembly when taking off ect, perhaps the previous owner miss-diagnosed the problem and that was his fix ?
I guess you could keep an eye out for a new one, but they are getting hard to find. Alternately, if the wheel runs ok and your happy, just use it.
Can't see what ill effect it would have as it's bolted together anyway.

Regards
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Is it an FPS wheel or the original Campagnolo? (this is pretty important due to the different metal (magnesium alloy vs aluminium alloy)). As I understand it, all cush drives were ali, and welding ali to magnesium (Campagnolo) may have some strength consequences.

Is the cush drive carrier bolted in as well as welded?

And Rick's question about where it is welded.

FPS wheels wheels aren't that hard to find,they come up fairly regularly, but they are not cheap. The good news is that rears are easier and cheaper to find than fronts.

Kev

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”