Adjusting Chain on a 500SL Pantah

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
fightingpantah
Mariana

Adjusting Chain on a 500SL Pantah

Post by fightingpantah »

Hi Guys

Need to adjust the chain on the Pantah. Not being overly familiar with how to do this but i have read some general stufff about how to measure slack etc.

I also found that the recommended slack is 25mm.

So, I can see two big donkey nuts holding the wheel on and two smaller nuts which look like adjusters on the end.

If i turn these adjuster nuts does it elongate the assembly and tighten the chain?

I've read through the4 manual i hae and there is zippo in there.
Any help would be great.

Catch ya

Shane
Love italian automotive.

Living with a 1986 Alfa GTV6, a 1989 Alfa 75 TS, and a 1982 Ducati 500SL Pantah :-)
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

That it,BUT,the slack needs to be set with you sitting on it off the stand,the tightest point happens when the swingarm povot the countersharft sprocket centre and the wheel centre all line up,important on a dirtbike with long travel suspendion,less so on short travel roadys,BUT,the aljusters also set the wheel alinment,those lines near the adjusters on the swingarm should be evened up both sides,BUT these are notoriesly not so acuate,best way is with a stringline around the front wheel and streched baxk on both sides,square up the front wheel so its got an even gap at the rear of the front wheel and so it just touchs the front of the rear wheel and has an even gap at the rear of the back wheel,and set the rear and adjust the chain slack,time consuming job but done right in future as the chain loosens you adjust the rear bolts one turn each,you then dont loose the wheel alinment.BTW a bit loose is better than a bit tight,tight puts stress on the bearing behind the front sproket
fightingpantah
Mariana

Post by fightingpantah »

Awesome reply Vince - thanks for that.

It sounds like a job I can handle with some help ( i have a few helpers available). I will take note of your points and the string method is similar to what i have used on cars before so should be o.k.

I have a father in law who has worked plenty on bike in years gone past so it could be a good time to bring his expertise in.

Thanks Again Vince.
Love italian automotive.

Living with a 1986 Alfa GTV6, a 1989 Alfa 75 TS, and a 1982 Ducati 500SL Pantah :-)
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I just remembered,while I was replacing a rear tyre I had a problem when tightening the rear wheel,I gave it a bit to much and suddenly there was a crack and a bit went flying,there are 2 alloy hollow C shaped bits that the acsel passes through on each side of the swingarm,One of these had split,suprised me as it was not being tightened stupid tight,worth knowing,

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”