Borrani wheels

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
jsey
Mariana

Borrani wheels

Post by jsey »

Hi,
Can anybody explain to me what the difference between a 4777 and say a 4745 or a 4845 is. Thanks
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

The 4777 rims are drilled for disc hubs and only came out on SS's , the other two I think you will find are for drum brake hubs and the drill angle between Disc and Drum are different

I think you would find if none of the rims were drilled that they would all be the same except for the early(74) 4777 rims where the flange angle was straighter when placed side by side of 75 onwards rim one is know as a H flange the other as a V flange if that make sense the difference between the "H" & "V" flange is a only something like 3 or 4 mm , I read some where ages ago that they changed the rims to the "H" flange to give it more strength
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

I've tried for years to determine some pattern in Borrani wheel numbers and have got nowhere. The best you can do is to determine what wheel numbers were on what bikes - and that is no easy task in itself. Spoke counts and WM numbers are easily determined, but the 4 number code seems to have no pattern that I can determine.

Martin is correct in that there are disk and drum varients. It is worse than that, however. Borrani's were also commonly used on Brit bikes such as Nortons but often with concial hubs, which had a different set of numbers. Conical hubs have a different drill angle on one side compated to the other. This doesn't mean you can't redrill them - I've got that with a norton 18" on one of my roundcases as a rear wheel and it works fine and spokes have no movement at all - you just need to make sure the spoke nuts aren't loose and the angles don't bend any spokes over another - and that is dependend on the spoke "bubble" position on the wheel. Some will bo OK some wont. Is seems to me, the less spokes, the less likely.
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hello all,
Although the Borrani factory used stampings on all of their rims there does not seem to any rhyme or reason. There also doesn't appear to be any record of what they all meant. The numbering system appeared to be internal to keep track of manufacturing for specific applications.
I have noticed in searching for an answer on the stampings that all of the motorcycle rim numbers seem to start with a "4" where as the automotive rims seem to start with a "3", particularly the Italian marques.
Below is some info, but not much.
Dean

http://thevintagent.blogspot.com/2008/1 ... nning.html
Faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Hunter S Thompson RIP

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”