Making brake cables

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
DesmoDog
750 GT

Making brake cables

Post by DesmoDog »

I'm not really sure where this question should go so I'll stick it in here and hope for the best...

I have multiple projects going on right now and I think it's finally time to make good on my threats and start making my own control cables.

I worked as a bicycle mechanic for a lot of years and know all about cutting housings and getting the routing correct, etc. What I'm not sure of is, for someone who's not making them all the time, can a torch and silver solder be used instead of buying a solder pot? Seems a little simpler for someone who'd only be making them once in a while.

And yes, I know I can get custom cable from Motion Pro for about $35 each. But when you have two or three projects, each requiring four cables, all of them non-stock lengths due to different bars, brakes, and/or rear sets, that $35 adds up. The bulk components aren't expensive and the convenience of being able to fit one to the bike then and there without having to send things out and wait...

So what's the general view on this? Torch or solder pot?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Hi Craig, if I were you I'd be tempted to call John @ Flanders and buy all the bits N bobs and go from there, but not using any solder, I be buying a cable longer than required, then trimming it down to where I wanted it and then using one of the barrel ends with the little set screw things... FOr those tiny throttle cables, I would again buy longer than needed cables, cut to length then take to a bicycle sho pand asking them to do the deed to the ends for me............. Thats what I would do.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
DesmoDog
750 GT

Post by DesmoDog »

Hi Steve,

I'm already putting together a wish list for Flanders, will probably order some things later tonight or tomorrow. I've got everything I need to silver solder so I'm going to try that I think. I worked as a bicycle mechanic for about ten years so not to be arrogant or anything but I trust myself more than a random shop guy. ;)

A lot of the fittings will be the "bolt on" type though, that's how they are from Ducati so I'll leave them as is! I also realized my brake cables will be shorter than stock, so I can use the inner wires it already had - only the one end is frayed and they'll be trimmed anyway. In fact I think only the choke cable has permanent fittings on each end now that I think about it... and I can probably do something with that with no soldering.

Geez, this is getting easier by the minute!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

DesmoDog wrote:Geez, this is getting easier by the minute!
poifect
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I just use the conventional soldering technique as outlined in any number of references. With a little practice it works well and should be considered an essential skill for anyone working on older machines.

From my experience it's the clutch cables that usually fray and break, the brake and throttle cables aren't as stressed.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

The latest ssue of Classic Bike has a how to on making cables. It shows how to make a tool to hold and form the end of the cable so it is less likely to pull through the ferrule. Looks pretty easy.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”