Borrani Rim Finish Question

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Borrani Rim Finish Question

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

'
Hi All
I have two sets of 4777 rims one that is mounted with Stainless Spokes the other still has the painted spokes, one has been polished to a super nice shine as where the one that is untouched although being super filthy as this is how it was stored for 20 odd years with the rest of the bike, anyway I started to give one of them a clean with the soda blaster to get all the crap off and it was then that I noticed the texture in the rim compared to the other polished rim. Where the other is smooth and untouched rim still has all the cast marks and fine textures around the nipple end or the rim.

A quick blast with Soda

After the Soda Blast you could see all the water mark/stains that dont polish out

Small polished section by hand

My Question is this
What was the original finish like on these rims, yes I know leave the cast marks etc and I intend too.
How higher shine if you like did they look like?
I ask because when you look at some concourse bikes some have a super smooth finish (owners preference I guess) and others although polished they look clean shiny but in a mat finish if you like
What is correct?
Has anyone got a picture of an untouched only polished by hand rim they would like to post ?

Cheers Marty
mizike77
860 GT / GTS

Post by mizike77 »

Hey Martin, what are you using for a soda blast rig?
79 Darmah
78 900 GTS
86 F1B
80 SSD
02 Harley FXD
72 H2 750 triple
08 KTM 300XC
there has yet to be a motorcycle line made that is as satisfying to ride, hear and look at as the ducati bevels
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

I ended up buying a ACE Performance Plus Portable Soda Blaster unit
Its small, affordable and this is what I was looking for. I need to make a cooler unit now as I'm only using the std media not the waterproof type here in OZ its twice as expensive

Cheers Marty
abmartin
SD900 Darmah

Post by abmartin »

I just fitted Borrani rims to my SS, one NOS and the other brand new, and they were both VERY shiny and smooth polished.

Bruce
1979 900SS
Fredericton, NB
Canada
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Martin, If my memory is correct the 4777 rims I gave away[OK,kick me the line starts here] the finish was smooth and shiny with no granular or or casting lines apparent.I remember reading somewhere about how the rims were made and I think they were rolled into shape as a long bar then curved and butt welded together.If you look closely you can find the joint on the rim.Many people take great pleasure in bringing aluminum up to a chrome like finish because it is relatively easy and is a Zen like experience when you get it all done.The down side is you will probably have to repeat the process a week later.Go for the bling!

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”