Campagnolo wheels

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Campagnolo wheels

Post by Peter Mille »

I'm running Camagnolo gold 5-spoke wheels from a 1978 Darmah in my MHR Mille Special.
Some years ago they started to corode on the outside (white powder) I had the wheels blasted and powdercoated after discovering that.
Now I've been told it's dangerous to drive with those wheels, they can break without warning they say.
I emailed Campagnolo, but they wouldn't comment on the wheels.
So I like to know what you guys think, any experience with Campagnolo's, bad or good?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

campies

Post by BevHevSteve »

don;t worry about it. The white powder is just the oxydation of the magnesium. My old DyMags did the same thing. Kept doing so until I refinished them.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
pjti
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Campags

Post by pjti »

A few years back I was (and still am) putting my Darmah back together. I noted that there were hairline cracks on all the "spokes" at the join to the rim. I could never trust it after that , I don't know that it was terminal but it made quite a nice bonfire. There was no white powder or any other indication of the fault. I was just prepping the wheels for a touch of paint, the rear seemed ok. I'll never know if the wheel was ok and regret destroying it, maybe todays technology would have enabled testing and repair...................
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: campies

Post by FastFashn »

BevHevSteve wrote:don;t worry about it. The white powder is just the oxydation of the magnesium. My old DyMags did the same thing. Kept doing so until I refinished them.
Does anyone make replacement look-alike Campagnolo decals for the wheels?
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
FastFashn
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Campags

Post by FastFashn »

pjti wrote:A few years back I was (and still am) putting my Darmah back together. I noted that there were hairline cracks on all the "spokes" at the join to the rim. I could never trust it after that , I don't know that it was terminal but it made quite a nice bonfire. There was no white powder or any other indication of the fault. I was just prepping the wheels for a touch of paint, the rear seemed ok. I'll never know if the wheel was ok and regret destroying it, maybe todays technology would have enabled testing and repair...................
The question I would ask would be, were these actual cracks in the metal, or just cracks in the paint? Pity you blew them up. :-(

http://www.jandjracingltd.com/Castingrepairs.htm

http://www.thomasnet.com/nsearch.html?c ... plisting=3

Some castings can be repaired. I guess I would check before destroy.
-Dana

Ad astra per aspera!
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: Campagnolo wheels

Post by Peter Mille »

[quote="Peter Mille"]I'm running Camagnolo gold 5-spoke wheels from a 1978 Darmah in my MHR Mille Special.
Some years ago they started to corode on the outside (white powder) I had the wheels blasted and powdercoated after discovering that.
Now I've been told it's dangerous to drive with those wheels, they can break without warning they say.
I emailed Campagnolo, but they wouldn't comment on the wheels.
So I like to know what you guys think, any experience with Campagnolo's, bad or good?[/quote

Two years ago I changed them for aluminium Oscam wheels, those old Campagnolo's are just to dangerous to drive anymore.
I keep the Campys for show purposes only.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”