Brembo PO5 pistons

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Brembo PO5 pistons

Post by Chris Bushell »

Guys,

As a part of the rebuild of my 500 Desmo parallel twin, we have now moved on to the brakes! Having split the calipers, I have found that all 6 of the pistons have corrosion on them and are not really useable; luckily the caliper bodies are in good condition.

I have enquired and PO5 pistons do not appear to be available!

So we are going to look at making a batch of pistions in stainless steel, which will cure the problem once and for all. I dont have an idea of price yet, but should by the end of the week.

If anyone would like a set of replacement pistons please e-mail me on [email protected]

I understand that the PO5 fits singles, Pantahs and parrallel trwins + many other Italian bikes.

Chris
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

question?
how will stainless go as far as wear on the seals
i think most after market pistons are anodized
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Have had a long conversation with the engineering guy and the correct grade of stainless will be inert with regard to the seals.

We considered using aluminium and anodising, but this will up the costs and one nick in the anodising and they will start to corrode.

I have been using stainless pistons in a 60s Jaguar braking system for 20 years now with no adverse effects.

Chris
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Chris,

Sounds like you're happy to go down the stainless route anyways but, FWIW, John Fallon got me 3 sets of the PO5 anodised pistons from Italy only 3 months ago.

Ciao

Craig
Chris Bushell
Parallel Twin

Post by Chris Bushell »

Craig,

Can you drop me an e-mail with how much he charged, I wouldn't want to end up paying double!

I must admit I like stainless as it removes corrosion problems, given the climate in the UK!

Chris
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i have F05 pistons in stock
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

BevHevSteve wrote:i have F05 pistons in stock
Bloody hell, Steve, so you do! Sorry, missed that.

Chris: Sorry, I can't remember now what I paid John and I don't have any of my paperwork here. But I know John had to wait a while to get them. As Steve's got them in stock, plus the seal kits, I suspect I know what I would do ...

As to corrosion ... well, I reckon the anodised finish will probably see you and me out, frankly :) (Unless you're planning on doing some Parallel Twin Trials, of course ... :? )

Ciao

Craig
sevicke
Mariana

Post by sevicke »

the pistons for my sd900 were a peice of cake to make, all they are is the rigth diameter with a bit of a groove in for the seals. anyone with a lathe
can do it and stainless is what they all use.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”