Polishing places v you doing it your self

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Polishing places v you doing it your self

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

On a lighter note :lol:

I polished some fork legs myself a few months back, 1200 & 1500 W&D paper before hitting the compound and wheel, they came out so great I decided to send a spare set away to get them done by the Pro's , Well I got the shock of my life when I got the bill AU$440 for both legs Pluck a duck or what !!!!!!!!! after I compared them to the set I did , I now know that my polishing is right up there with them shine and all

Just goes to show if you are willing and have some time do it yourself 8)
Monsterdood
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Monsterdood »

Good info! Did you coat the legs with anything? A clear coat of some sort? Just curious as I am trying to plan out some work on my Monza 250.
01 M900s
67 Monza 250
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

I did'nt paint or lacquer , on all my polished alloy I use a silicone based sealer , and after every ride 8) not saying its going to be another 8 years :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wash and reapply the silicone it completely stops the little white dots from forming and the shine will last for a year or more give it a try
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Martin,
That sounds like too much money. I have been doing nearly all my polishing for years, the only drawback is it takes longer on the smaller 3/4 hp grinder. I now wire brush all metal that has to have its zinc recoated. The plater wasn't spending enough time on that stage and it does take quite a while. The results were much better and cheaper.
Ian
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

silicone sealer

Post by Lumpy »

Hey Martin, whats the name (brand) of the silicone sealer you use? Can you get it at automotive shops or is it bike specific? Does it work on chrome? Do you rub it on or spray it on? Why is the sky blue? Do they really shoot horses...................? Any info to fight off the little white alloy dots would be most appreciated.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Hi Lumpy
Sorry for the late reply
The spray is called 3 in 1 spray and you get it from Bunnings it is made by the same company that makes WD40
Just spray it on let it dry overnight and wipe of the access that will from all over as drops, and your done

Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

thanks

Post by Lumpy »

Thanks for that Martin. I`m off to Bunnings. I live near the coast and the battle against corrosion is never ending.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

The sky is blue because dust particulates in the atmosphere, and air itself scatter the blue spectrum of visible light waves. Do they shoot horses?, go watch No Country For Old Men. Some mighty good eatin' in a tender young horse :lol: Anything else you need to know just ask.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

and thats why real super sports are all silver and blue
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

blue skies

Post by Lumpy »

Because of the dust particles or because they`re good eatin` ? Now I`m really confused...............................
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

I thought the real 900SS's were black and gold! (Maybe I am just prejudiced!)
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

no no no as you have been told - real 900ss's have marzocchi shocks :lol:
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Man what the heck are you guy's smoking LOL
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

dust particles,tender young horses & the smell of original marzoc shocks for our ss's
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

An interesting mix. the dream of original parts....I reckon that out there somewhere is a shed full of all these bits and just one day I will find it.

Just will never be able to afford it all!

Oh well, one can dream I guess (and build your own stash)
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”