brembo caliper paint

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

brembo caliper paint

Post by nottonight68 »

hi all
anyone out there repainted brembo calipers?
what paint & method is the go
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

I don't know if you can get it down under but Plasticote has some semi-gloss engine paint that looks good on calipers and is somewhat heat resistant.
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

I did a set of brembos with M/Cs for a Laverda triple a while back and I re-anodised them for about $120AUD. This is a perfect finish and gets rid of the worry about paint lifting when you have to bleed the brakes. The finish was that good that I was asked where I got the new gear from. Don't expect a paint like finish but it gives the same original finish. It can't be done with scarab brake systems. I can post a photo if you want.
Ian
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

photo & instructions would be nice
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Steve,
I can't get close photos for a day or two, so would a photo of the whole bike be any use? The mob I used were the Queensland Name Plate Group Pty Ltd 61 Pentex St., Salisbury Brisbane 4107 Ph 07 32773566. You should be able to get anodising done down your way. Regards,
Ian
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Steve, Anodizing is the correct finish as original. You can get black or gold if your machine originally had goldlines. You will need to specify Type II anodizing and also make sure the parts are super clean all over before sending them in. Lightly blasted on the outside and chemically scrubbed on the inside will insure the best finish. I have had all my brake hardware done with very good results. Jordan
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

thanks for that cafe
i'll do some homework into local options
i'd rather leave em as they are (which isnt too bad) than have someone stuff em up
cheers steve
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Steve,
Oven cleaner is good for cleaning anodised surfaces.
Ian
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

think i'll get spray on brake cleaner and see how they come out
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

turned out crappy-after getting forks repainted ,i'm getting calipers professionally re-anodized-this resto just seems to be snowballing
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Steve,
Thats what happens every time I restore a bike. One fresh part shows up another part which you previously thought would be OK. This especially applies to bolts and nuts.
What paint did you use for the fork legs? I have just had a fork seal stuff up on the '75 and I may as well re-paint them correctly as they have been done in gloss when it should have been satin....the only problem is that the finish of satin black varies between manufacturers.
Ian
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

i had my forks & t-clamps done by local powder coater-he does heaps of old bike stuff-its not exact but is satin and is the same unless compared to poor quality original stuff
i know what your saying about one part showing up the next-i stripped the thing to get frame painted and decided to only put new or rebuilt/cleaned up stuff back on
looks like i'll end up with a new bike-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :-D :-D :-D
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Macdesmo wrote: The mob I used were the Queensland Name Plate Group Pty Ltd 61 Pentex St., Salisbury Brisbane 4107 Ph 07 32773566. Regards, Ian
Hi Ian

What do they charge for doing one caliper or two halves ?
I have about 12 halves to do

Got those pictures yet ?

Also anyone know where to get PO8's seal kits from in OZ , PM me dont post it.
Cheers Mate
Macdesmo
750 GT

Post by Macdesmo »

Martin,
I had forgotten about this. I took a photo yesterday but I am having trouble with getting it on to photobucket. I will try a bit later on today. The electroplaters did 3 calipers and 3 mastercylinders for $110 AUD. If I remember correctly they would have done more for that price as the $110 was a minimum charge. Regards
Ian
Jon
Diana

Post by Jon »

I will be going over to see them late january when I am back from work if people were interested in doing a group thing, I am not in a real rush and could wait for others to get their stuff to Brisbane.

regards
jon
1983 900 S2
1983 Mk III Le Mans
1992 Honda VFR400r
1976 CB550f

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”