Front brake hoses

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
conti-mental
Mach 3

Front brake hoses

Post by conti-mental »

I want to fit braided hoses (with black heatshrink) to my 900ss, but I want to keep it original looking, and replace the rigid hose to the front calipers. Does anyone know where to source the rigid pipes, preferably in stainless?

Cheers,

Andy
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

If Steve doesn’t sell them I don’t know where you would buy them. You could buy the tubing and fittings, then double flare the ends, if you know someone with a flaring kit.
Cheers
Colin Linz
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

SS lines

Post by BevHevSteve »

I have braided steel line kits, but don;t have the rigid lines. Colin has a good suggestion, you can make them with the double flare tool. Doing so in stainless steel is a pregnant dog. I done it, a much of times, and broke several of the adapters in the process. They get expensive - I was using a snap on double flare tool.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Colin Linz
Diana

Post by Colin Linz »

To make the flaring easier you may be able to buy annealed stainless tubing. Stainless can be a pregnant dog to work with as it work hardens very easy.
Cheers
Colin Linz
conti-mental
Mach 3

Post by conti-mental »

Thanks guys - some real food for thought!
Annealing the tube makes sense - for getting an adequate pressure seal when installed as well.
Another way I've been considering is to just use normal tube, bend to shape and flare the caliper end, then get it chrome/nickel plated before attaching the fittings and flaring the other end, which is pretty well hidden from view once installed. If the ends are left unplated , I'd like to think they'd install OK.

Serves me right for being picky I guess.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

Conti-mental did you ever find a source for those rigid brake pipes or did you make 'em yourself?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

lines

Post by BevHevSteve »

I will have ss lines in stock by end of the week, that will go from the splitter to each caliper, negating the tubes on the calipers. Also will have shorter top lines ala 900SS for clipons. My darmah top lines work for 900ss but are longer than 900ss with clipons. The bottom lines will work regardless if the calipers are mounted in front as per stock or behind the fork leg. Available in either clear plastic tube or black over the woven stainless lines. Lastly, i have rear double line kits for darmah as well as single line kits ala 900ss black and clear. I didn;t mention my front 750 GT line kits for stock single line mc to tube on caliper or mc to caliper direct. For dual brake GT use my darmah kit! enough info??
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
conti-mental
Mach 3

Solid brake pipe update

Post by conti-mental »

For those who think I've been doing nothing for all these months/years - you'd be right!

I finally got a burst of inspiration, and the ss restoration is picking up speed again.
I managed to locate some pipe fittings in stainless (although they're a couple of mm longer) and I used some kunifer brake pipe left over from a car repair.
Although it's a little copper-ish in colour, it polishes up well, and I'm more than happy with the overall effect.

Check it out...

I just fitted a pair and I'm pretty well pleased with the results.....in other words; they work fine!

Cheers!

Andy

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”