Campagnolo/speedlines

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
splanchio
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Campagnolo/speedlines

Post by splanchio »

Hi guys
This is my first post so please be gentle.I have read many threads on the above wheels which are quite frightening.I have a 78 Darmah (campagnolos)and a 78 SS (speedlines)which both have the 4 bolt fixing.I understand that FPS wheels are good but am struggling to find any.Has anyone successfully fitted alloys from another bike?If so what modifications were needed?Hope someone can help as i'd really like to get these 2 old girls back on the road again and being used as they were intended without having a heart attack every time i hit a pothole(about every 5 mins here in the UK!)
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

splanchio, have you thought about wire wheels. They were used up through '78, at least on the 750SS. You would have to find a WM 4 for the rear and they would have to be Borranis or at least good look alikes, but this would probably be better for your heart condition ;) Welcome to the forum, Jordan
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

What about the Oscam wheels from >80 Ducati (bevel) models?
Wouldn't be too hard to find a pair of those (secondhand) in the UK, or the rest of Europe?
And yes, new wire wheels would be a serious option!
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hi,

When you're looking for FPS wheels, the hard ones to find are usually the front wheels, as they are the ones that usually cop the most damage. FPS wheels do come up from time to time though, but they are getting more expensive and closer to wire wheels costs.

Campagnolos were good wheels for the track, they just didn't stand up as well on the road over the longer term with hard use. I have some spare 4 bolt FPS wheels, but the shipping cost from Aus is probably prohibitive.

Another option is to get the Campags scanned, they may well be OK if they've been looked after. I know a lot of people worry about them, and they were recalled by the manufacturer. I still use them on one of my bikes, but I do have them checked every few years and I've had no problems....but make up your own mind on that!!!
splanchio
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by splanchio »

Peter Mille -I don't know anything about the Oscam wheels.What do they look like?Are they the same as FPS?.I understand wires are an option but personally i prefer the look of the alloys and come from an era when they were the leading edge of technology superceding wires.

Thanks machten i may well have my wheels scanned to be safe.It would be interesting to know what the freight costs from Oz might be and how much you'd want for the wheels.I have friends near Sydney and wonder whether they might classify as hand luggage!!!
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

All the late Bevels and Pantah's came with 18 inch Oscam wheels.
duc13
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by duc13 »

[quote="machten"]Hi,

Campagnolos were good wheels for the track, they just didn't stand up as well on the road over the longer term with hard use. I have some spare 4 bolt FPS wheels, but the shipping cost from Aus is probably prohibitive.

Hi machten , I have pm'd you regarding the 4 bolt fps wheels you have.
I'm chasing a front for my MHR and in Perth also.
Let me know if your interested in parting with it .

Cheers , Dave.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”