900ss disc colour

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

900ss disc colour

Post by nottonight68 »

anyone know what colour inner part of discs where from the factory? had mine since new but cant remember.i've looked at my old photos ,at some time they were silver at others black(i'm currently polishing black paint off my disc carriers).i've seen photos of unrestored 900's with unpainted discs ,which looks crap,but seem to think thats how mine were when new. yet i look at factory brochures from the day and the're black. any thoughts on preferred colour-surelynot unpainted rust
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

In the antique auto hobby we used to use Chromabase Stabilized Pale Gold paint. It goes on gold but turns the color of bare metal when it is heated. The only drawback is that any oil spots, fingerprints, etc. will show in the finish (after its cured) when it gets hot even if not visible when cool. I still have a bit of it around if you want the info. Not sure if it is still produced, at least here in the US.
You can also put a thin clear coat over bare steel if you want to maintain that look. I personally prefer black painted centers.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

My 77 SS rotors had a very thin coat of a semi flat black on them when new. If you spit near them you could see the tiny brown rust spots forming. The first few washes succeded in removing all the paint. Plasti-Coat makes a semi flat and a semi gloss engine paint that is very useful on rotors and calipers. The semi gloss looks good on the calipers.
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

disc colour

Post by nottonight68 »

i looked at old pics of my bike when new-discs were unpainted,76 &77 were basically the same model so who knows? got some self priming gloss black to spray on.will post some pics on the gallery after polishing & rebuilding wheels

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”