Cleaning Boranni Rims

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
MartinMille BANNED
BANNED

Cleaning Boranni Rims

Post by MartinMille BANNED »

Hi all

What is the best way to go around cleaning some Boranni Rims ?

I don't want to ruin them as these are the super hard to find RM 01-4777 rims they are in good condition but wanted to know how some of you guys go about cleaning and keeping them clean

If I was to restore them, should I remove all the spokes and give the rim a super shine polish and would you get the spokes re-chromed or leave them as they are?

Dont ask I'm not selling them.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I had the Boranis on my Laverda stripped ,rim rolled round and the hub and rim polished and stainless spokes fitted by a bloke in Sydney,about $400 a wheel,quite a while ago.Problem is unless your super keen the hubs will tarnish quickly and when acembled very hard to hit with Autosol,
if I was doing it again I would look very hard at that place that advitises in the Oz bike mags that do a bright anandised finish,stays shiny forever,
bloody expensive but worth it to make the work last,
they look fantastic shiny but the Concorse buffs will not be happy.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Martin, If you look at the rims closely you can tell if they have been buffed out alot through the years. The NOS or near NOS rims that I have seen have shown alot of tooling marks and metal graining from the factory. This patina will be lost if you have them buffed to a mirror shine, but its your preference. I use Semichrome polish and have had good luck bringing back Borranis to a nice shine with just a hand polishing. New polished stainless spokes would be a good alternative to the old steel ones though Falloon states in his book that the spokes used with the 4777s were painted steel. Buchanans http://www.buchananspokes.com/ here in CA does beautiful work at reasonable cost if you want to ship them. Jordan

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”