Avon Super Venom - any good?

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Avon Super Venom - any good?

Post by gorman »

I bought my 82 900SS with Avon Super Venom's fitted (AM20 front and AM 18 rear). The thread on these tyres are still as new, but is there any way to determine how old these tyres might be? I've read once that one should replace tyres if the are older than four years even is thread is still okay. Also, as a general allround tyre are these any good?
'97 900SS
'82 900SS
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Gorman,
Those Avon's are decent tires.
You can tell there age by looking at the DOT numbers, stamped on one of the side walls,2306 means f.i. the 23 week of 2006, that's when they were produced.
Change tires after 4 years is far to early, I'd say change them if they are still looking good, after about ten years. (counting from the DOT date).
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

I've used the Super Venoms for the past 4 years and been very happy, wet or dry, US and UK. Good grip, though the rear tyre is now pretty worn round to the edge :-) after only 2500 miles. This is on a 77 900SS. So 4 years is fine... It's a real shame they don't sell them any more!
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gorman »

Peter, I've looked at the DOT numbers and whereas in my 97 SS's tyres it follows the format you mentioned, the Avons on the 82 SS have a format that starts with a W and then three digits after it. Any idea what the W would represent?

Geoff, does Avon not have a replacement tyre for the Super Venoms, or would one need to change to another brand when these are worn out?
'97 900SS
'82 900SS
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

I don't know what a "W" means in this case, but if the DOT has three digits, the tire is probably manufactured before 2000.
248 f.i. means 24th week of 1998.....after 2000 the DOT consists of 4 digits.
So maybe change to another tire (brand) to be safe, isn't such a bad idea after all....
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

I've found a couple of places in the UK that still have the Avons so I was going to phone up and ask as to age of tyre; the replacements (I can't remember what they were now) don't seem to be as grippy... If I don't manage on the Super Venom or reasonable age front, then I'll fit BT045s.
Cheers
Geoff
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gorman »

I've Googled the DOT codes and it seems the W (and the X on the front tyre) in front of the three digit DOT code is just an indication in which plant the tyre was manufactured. The normal three digit DOT code depicts the week and year of the 1980's and if it has a little triangle behind it then the year is in the 1990's. My rear tyre is 034 and my front tyre 443 with the triangles - this means my tyres go back to the end of 1993 and beginning of 1994, thus 14 years old!! What a pity, they are still brand new when looking at the thread, but I don't think I'll be able to trust such an old tyre.

Has anybody got experience with the Michelin Macadams? My brother fitted those to his BMW R100RS recently and seems to be happy, but then again, anything would have been better than the rock hard things he had on before them. Based on popular recommendation I'd opt for the Bridgestone BT45's, but I don't know if they're available locally?
'97 900SS
'82 900SS
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Well, Bridgestone BT series is a very good tire, but......japanese.. :oops:
The Continental TKV series are very good as well, they also look very "period"...!!
I have Pirelli's on my Mille Special, at least Italian... :lol:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gorman »

Following on from the link Steve posted, it seems that the Avons replacing the Super Venom is the AM26 Roadrider - or that's what the Avon website suggests in any case...

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/ ... wtyre&id=6
'97 900SS
'82 900SS
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

gorman wrote:it seems that the Avons replacing the Super Venom is the AM26 Roadrider
Yes this is true. The AM26 - no more AM18 and AM20
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gorman »

I've read on the advrider forum about a couple of KTM 990 riders who fitted the AM26s for road use and they were very impressed - I might just stick with the Avons if I can get hold of them.
'97 900SS
'82 900SS
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

Gorman,
If you cant get Avons, you wouldnt be dissapointed with the Bridgestones BT45's, I run them on my Duc's and have had road and track work on them and they are fantastic. The japanese issue really shouldnt come into the equation, they work and are a safe tyre. Good luck whichever you choose.
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Peter Mille

Post by Peter Mille »

Aussiess wrote:Gorman,
If you cant get Avons, you wouldnt be dissapointed with the Bridgestones BT45's, I run them on my Duc's and have had road and track work on them and they are fantastic. The japanese issue really shouldnt come into the equation, they work and are a safe tyre. Good luck whichever you choose.
You are absolutely right!!
Btw, I heard japanese engines, electronics, frame's, wheels etc. work good too, so if you ever need replacing it.... ;)
gorman
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by gorman »

I'm sure the BT45's will be perfect and so will the Avons - I've done a search for other nice tyres available in the correct sizes of 100/90x18 and 120/90x18 that's also V-rated.

Here's a few pics of each:

Avon AM26 Roadrider:

Bridgestone BT45:
Those that have these tyres - is the picture of the rear correct? I saw there were also pictures of a pair where the rear has the same thread as the front.

Michelin Macadam 50:

Pirelli Sport Demons (these look quite nice!):

Continental TKV:

Metzeler Lasertec:
Last edited by gorman on Sun May 18, 2008 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
'97 900SS
'82 900SS

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”