Brake Caliper ID

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Brake Caliper ID

Post by cafe*racer »

Recently aquired caliper for my rear disk conversion. Was hoping to get it in to be anadized, but frozen piston has stalled that. Check out the hole for the bleed screw. It has a steel insert that threads into the cliper in which the bleed screw threads into. Date coded 1973 in all other ways seems to be the same of my other dual bleed F08s. Any ideas? Jordan
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

i bet someone muffed up the hole, drilled and tapped for the bush you see and had a working caliper again.

For the stuck piston, heat up the caliper half with a hot air gun, turn the caliper half onto the work bench so the piston is up, put a deep socket inside the piston and give it a good whack with a mallet to drive it in - that will free it. Now get 2 standard drivers and lever out the piston.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Steve- Yeah so thats what I thought at first too. Then I dug out another caliper. Check out the side by side. Left is twin bleed F08 date code '76 with later style "BREMBO" logo. The casting boss is larger on the right and the threaded adapter 'bush' has a nice machined seat to fit the caliper and the screw. (sorry no pic, it is not right at hand this late at night) Def. not a home made repair IMHO. The plot thickens... JordanImage
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

jordan, please measure the OD of the piston in the wierd caliper - is it by any chance larger than 38MM ??

Just guessing here, but there was a caliper called an F09 that had a larger piston [49mm maybe?] I have never held one in my hand so I don;t know.... just a thought
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

Not larger than 38mm. Measures the same as the others that I have. Great advise on the frozen piston, came right out. The best advise comes from someone who knows. Thanks Steve
wa_pete
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by wa_pete »

Had a recalcitrant piston on the newly acquired 900SS, going over all the calipers and master cylinders for pistons, seals etc etc, 5 of 6 pistons were OK with a bit of compressed air, popped out just fine, the last one I had to put in the oven and bake at 250C for 40 minutes, then it just popped out slow and steady with a bit of air.

pete

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”