best tyres?

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
dodo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

best tyres?

Post by dodo »

I've got a 1981 MHR, and it needs new tyres ,as the present ones are 10 years old and pretty worn. What would be the best modern tyres for ordinary road use for the old gal?
baddean
Parallel Twin

Post by baddean »

Hey dodo,
Tires, like oil, can draw many opinions.
The Avon Road Rider (AM 26) would be an excellent choice for our older Ducatis.
There is a good range of sizes available too.
http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/
Look under "General purpose"
Dean
dodo
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

tyres

Post by dodo »

thanks baddean, might go for that, especially as they are made in Melksham about 15 miles from where I live in Bath, Somerset in the good old UK.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Bridgestone Batlax are the best tires for your bike.
I wouldn't fit them though, because they're Japanese...
Continental TKV is the second choice,( VERY period treadprofile..!!) according to a tire test for young timers, by a German Bike Magazine.
I would have fitted Continental on my MHR, but my desired size was not available from Conti, so I have Pirelli Sport Demon on my MHR, together with the Avon's, the last choice ( :cry: ) in the same German test.....!)
fritz_tc
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by fritz_tc »

What are the best tyres for a GT750 (ones that are available in Australia at a reasonable cost). I'm after ones that look the right size (I remember putting a 'modern" slightly larger tyre on my 750SS back in mid 80's but it was too big and looked crap and "disturbed" the handling from memory.)

Not fussed about the tread pattern.

Geoff
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

You could consider Metzler Lasers too.They are great on most any surface and in the wet. The down side is they are a little more expensive than the Bridgestones and Avons.
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Hey Peter,

If it's an 81 MHR, doesn't it have Nippon Denso gauges and LH switch gear and Bosch ignition? I like both the Avons and the Bridgestone Battlax BT45 s, and both are good value, but I wouldn't care where they are made, just how they grip the road!

Kev
MitchB
Mariana

Post by MitchB »

An old thread...

Is there a definitive favorite between the Bridgestones or the Avons? I will be buying tires soon...
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Ive just bought AM26's, fitting myself!, Gone for smaller than most (110/90 rear and 90/90 front) as i prefer the older slimmer look and want light handling.Can't ride the thing till someone sells me some Darmah h/l brackets to take my 200mm light and i get the gearchange switched to rhs on my GTS
Kickaha
Diana

Post by Kickaha »

I am just putting BT45 Bridgestone on my MHR, I've used these on a couple of bikes I race and can't fault them

I was going to give the the Avons AM26 a try but they were considerably more expensive
Eat Right
Stay fit
Die anyway

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”