1982 Pantah 600.... She's in bits!

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Bumbler
Mariana

1982 Pantah 600.... She's in bits!

Post by Bumbler »

Howdy...Need some help...
I've recieved a 1982 Pantah (complete but partially disassembled). It's been in pieces and off the road for the best part of 10yrs...but she's looking good...Clean but not immaculate. Engine's in the frame. Bit of an oil leak from the swing arm bush. Good cold compression (120psi on each pot).The carbies are going to need kits put through them. Wiring hasn't been removed since manufacture. Paint's good. Gave the wheels a good clean up. Calipers and pumpers have been rebuilt. The cold ground brake rotors are back on the wheels and the front wheel is good to go!!!

I've got a manuel for it but it is less than comprehensive.....

Does any one have a list of torque settings/values for major components?????

Also need a schematic/diagram for rear axle/brake assembly....?????

Strangley enough now that I sit back and look at it I've noticed that the previous owner had been riding around with the front brake calipers fastened to the rear facing aspect of the shokies. All the pictures I've seen show them on the forward side. Has some one muffed it and installed the shockie incorrectly (ie, mixed the left with the right) or is this some accepted practice????

CHEERS Kids! :-D

I'm a moon faced hare-lipped, ham fisted, half-wit....I need all the help I can get...
Bumbler.... '82 Pantah 600
Bumbler
Mariana

Post by Bumbler »

Axles sorted...bit of guess work but it's sorted...
Craig in France
Paso 906

Front brake caliper position

Post by Craig in France »

Hi Bumbler

With regards to the positioning of the brake calipers, it sounds like a previous owner followed the fashion of switching the fork legs over (left one to the right side, right one to the left side) so he could mount the calipers behind the forks.

Some people claim this improves the braking performance.

Can't comment, personally :)

Craig in UK/France
Bumbler
Mariana

Post by Bumbler »

Cheers Craig,

Brakes have been rebuilt now and are on. Not much more to do. Bashing my way thru rebuilding the carbies. No one seems to be able to help me with major torque settings. Once the carbies are done, I'll start her up and see how she runs. Provided there are no major problems with engine workings I'll be good to go. Will do suspension and exhaust down the track....
Panta600
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Panta600 »

Bumbler,
you still around? Have you finished with the resto work?
Cheers,
Steve
Nothing beats the 4 x 2 seat of a Pantah!
Rick F
Mach 3

pantah

Post by Rick F »

You could try Arthur down at ducati in Byron Bay........has been around for almost 40 years & not much he wont know or be able to find out

cheers

Rick
Bumbler
Mariana

Yes... Still around

Post by Bumbler »

Have been busy, but the Pantah is practicly finished. Only one job to do which I think is beyond my scope: The oil leak from the back swing arm bush.

Have been running out of time and money of late. I've got another resto job on the go...A little LC GTR XU1 Holden Torana which is consuming money and time. Also in the process of preparing 2 soap box down hill racers for the Bangalow Billy cart derby in May.

But I'll do my best to post a picture or two in the next week. Thanks very much for the query...you guys are about the only ones who take an interest. The missus just looks at me blankly and my mates just start to grown when I raise the subject....Ha! Philistines!
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Put a pic of the Torana up as well,you have good taste in machines
Bumbler
Mariana

Some pictures

Post by Bumbler »

Here are a couple of pictures...she goes for her road worthy next week....

Bumbler
Mariana

During Resto

Post by Bumbler »

Jerrard
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Bumbler pantah

Post by Jerrard »

Mate, how good is that looking?
I see you have a hydraulic clutch? Do you know why some 600 Pantah's have them and not others?
I'd love to convert mine to a hydraulic..

Great work with your resto though, and thanks for the thread on the colour, I think my mind is now made up.

Jerrard
Bumbler
Mariana

Clutch

Post by Bumbler »

Don't know about the clutch set up...every 600 I've spied on the road has had an hydraulic set up.

Is it the case that some one has converted yours to a mechanical clutch in the past?

My parts and workshop manual specify a hydraulic set-up.

As an aside... Are you still in Aussie or are you doing this resto in Norway?
Jerrard
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

She's in bits

Post by Jerrard »

Hey again,

Maybe the hydraulic clutch is on the original 600's? Mine was once a 500, but everything including the frame, bodywork and barrels are now to 600 spec (unsure about the gearbox). I left my parts / workshop manual in Oz too. I just know that after a few hours with the mechanical clutch, arm pump is a major thing..

I'm in Norway and the beloved bike is in a shed in Oz, but I'm starting to look at bits and pieces to buy on ebay etc, and sending them back to Oz for my return..
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

My 600 Pantah started life as a TL,thats the slightly ugly step sister to the SL,they were considerably cheaper than the SL and sold like hot cakes in OZ,mine was converted to a TT2 replica using body bits from Gowanlocks,
The point of the story is TL came with non hydro clutchs,they are almost as hard as my Laverda but not quite.After the Optimax fuel ate the glass tank it now has a TL metal one with SL fairing and seatwith the TL dash,I love visiting
Ducati Owner Club stuff and having the experts scratch there heads.
Mechanicaly very very similar,TL to SL and not hard to mix and match
Bumbler
Mariana

Finished

Post by Bumbler »

Well....Job's done.

Bike's roadworthy and rego'ed. Now a going concern...How chuffed am I? :-D

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”