Front Wheel Axel - Set up

Post your 'Wheel, Brake & Tyre' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
750sport
Mariana

Front Wheel Axel - Set up

Post by 750sport »

Hi Guys, we have had the front rotors machined and they seem parallel now so braking should be a pleasure again.

My question this time is about the set up of the front axel. As you may know my bike has the twin front brake conversion.

I re-asembled it as follows and the order is as if viewed looking AT the bike from in front (ie, NOT sitting on it).

Order...

Fork|washer|Speedo drive|washer|bearing in hub|tube spacer|bearing in hub|large thick spacer|Fork|washer|Nut.

Interestinglly it would appear that the nut does little else but to hold the speedo onto the wheel and to hold to some extent the wheel at the right distance from the right hand fork. The actual holding of the axle onto the forks is achieved by the pinch bolts under the axle on each side preventing any movement left or right of the axel within the forks. Is this logic correct?

How tight should the Nut on the end of the axle be tightened? I see that the sholder of the axle on the left hand side mates effectivley with the speedo drive (through the bush in the speedo drive) which I am guessing would not be built to act as a trust washer. I have not tightened the nut up a great deal as I belive it will cause damage to the speedo drive.

Lastly, I have left a small gap between the left fork and the washer, all pinch bolts have been tightened well up. Is this likely to cause any problem given the speedo drive is held onto the wheel by the sholder of the axle and the pinch bolts prevent the axle from moving left and right in the fork?

Thanks for your time all. I have a 250km ride on Sunday so would like the front wheel to not play up.
Geoff
Parallel Twin

Post by Geoff »

If I read what you're saying correctly you have a 'sloppy' set up at the front end, and that's not good.

There's no reason not to tighten up the axel nut (prior to the pinch bolts of course) as the 'thrush' against the speedo drive is through a central bush within the drive itself (if you dismantled it - I have on my SS - you'd see this). You probably could flog the nut up hard enough to damage it, but you'd have to go some....
Cheers
Geoff
750sport
Mariana

Post by 750sport »

Thanks for your reply Geoff.

What is a "stoppy" front end?

I noticed that the thrust was being transfered through the bush in the speedo, this is what made me think that t would not handle the axle bolt tightened up a lot. Is their a recommended ft/lbs tightening for the axle nut?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

SLOPPY meaning LOOSE........

Undo the pinch bolts, then tighten up the axle nut - tight - then do the pinch bolt.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
750sport
Mariana

Post by 750sport »

:oops:
750sport
Mariana

Post by 750sport »

Did around 250km today and everything is OK.

Thanks all for the help.

Return to “Wheel, Brake & Tyre Shop”