FAQ - Voltage Regulator Swap

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Voltage Regulators

The Shindengen (Jap) regulators are great, I have found them to deliver higher charge voltage than Ducati regs (which may indicate a more efficient circuit ie: less internal losses. Where's all the electronics engineers?) and they seem to be very reliable. I fitted one (part no. DU-627) to an SSDarmah today and another to a 1982 SS last week. Both worked better than a new Ducati reg.. Ducati have been using them as their OEM part for some years now. You need to unsure that any reg is mounted where it can keep as cool as possible and obviously your electrics need to be in good order so they don't create extra stress on the system.
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
hulagun
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by hulagun »

Regards connecting the Shindigen R/R to the Ducati wiring: Some bevel twins had only 2 yellow wires from alternator. Some models had a 3 wire alternator. Each may have a different set up. It would be really useful to have the instructions for both here. Can someone post a simple "yellow = yellow, red = battery + pos, etc , etc" set of instructions here? Thanks in advance.
ivan thelin
san francisco
1954 MV Agusta 175 Sport
1967 Motobi 125 Sport
1975 Ducati 750 GT
1978 Ducati 900 SS
kanack
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kanack »

Can anyone help with a source and price and connection diagram for the Shindengen regulators? Will my charge indicator light still work with this replacement?

I've seen other places that a replacement regulator for a CX500 Honda is a sutiable replacement but I'm hesitant to just buy one of these to try.

My '78 Darmah needs a new regulator & I'm trying to get one for it quickly. The current one is a 28A version stamped E 34 32 63 if it helps.

Thanks in advance!
Kris Kanack
78 Darmah
74 750 Sport
hannodutoit
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by hannodutoit »

Hi, I need to get a replacement R/R for my 860GTS. Its got a 200W 2 wire alternator. Can anyone tell me if the Shindengen Regulators will work on this bike. If so what Jap bikes uses one that will work, so I can try local suppliers or maybe look for a second hand one? I live in South Africa, so getting anything is a problem and buying abroad can get very expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Hanno du Toit
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

regulators should come with an internal wiring diagram-basics are-connections from alt,permanent 12v from battery & 12v monitor after ign switch.
you will not be able to change r/r with different unit and simply hook up the wiring-replacement is easy but you need to know r/r connections
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I now have voltage regulators in stock - they come with instructions on how to wire up with both 2 wire and 3 wire setups for DUCATI.

http://shop.bevelheaven.com/detail.aspx?ID=723
hannodutoit
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by hannodutoit »

Thanks Steve, I had a look at your regulators. The thing is that at the moment the South African Rand is very weak againts the dollar, so it is very expensive for me. I first want to see if I can find a secondhand R/R from a Honda/Yamaha/Kawasiki or something before I spend that kind of money. What is the difference between regulators? Can I use any regulator that came from a 200W two wire system?
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

I am a mech eng not an elec eng - but I do know that the co that makes these also makes them for just about all bikes and a quick look at their catalog shows different part #s for different applications..... YMMV
nottonight68
BLABBERMOUTH

Post by nottonight68 »

warning here-regulators are not regulators-you need to get the correct unit

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”