750GT wiring problem

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Larry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

750GT wiring problem

Post by Larry »

I have trying to get my 750Gt running. I just purchased the bike and am having wiring problems.

Q: there is a white ceramic peice near the head stock. It is about 3 inches long and has what looks like cotton with wire around it inside.

Every time i turn on the key it starts to smoke. I can not find this part on the wiring diagram. What is it and how do I fix my smaking problem?
Please help.

Larry :(
Eldert
Parallel Twin

Post by Eldert »

Hi Larry
could it be that one off the previeus owners put different coils on your bike ?? K mart coils was a favorit mod with a ballast resistor
the smoking 3 inch piece you discribe could very wel be a ballast resistor
and would not show up on a wiring diagram

good luck Eldert
Larry
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Larry »

You may be right about it being a ballast resistor. The coils do not looks like any of the Ducati coils that I have on my 250cc ducatis. The bike has Dynatek eletronic ignition, but has two mis-matched car-like coils. Maybe my best bet is to get some coils from Dynatec.

Larry
Den
Mach 3

Post by Den »

It will smoke for a while when it is new. Just a little oil on the winding from manufacturing. Save your money. The car coils and that ballast resistor should work just fine. You can gap your plugs to at least .035". I gap mine at .038" and am using the equivalent to an NGK BP6HS.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”