Neutral switch paradox

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Neutral switch paradox

Post by Norvilbob »

I have a puzzle for the team:

I have a late 1974 750 GT which came fitted (from new) with an early 860 style instrument cluster (5 warning lights and a toggle "City" "Country" toggle switch for the horn).

There's a warning light for "Neutral"......but no neutral light switch on the gearbox! What's the go?

BTW. Does anyone have a late 1974 wiring diagram with the 3 position ignition switch, the 5 fuses and the 5 warning lights shown. It's no problem if they don't exist. Between the early 1974 GT and Sport and early 860 diagrams I can work it out - asking more out of curiosity than anything else.

Regards,
Rob
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: Neutral switch paradox

Post by wdietz186 »

The late 750 used the dash that they had at the time[860 style]. There is no provision on/in the cases for a neutral switch. The late 750's were sort of produced to use up the remaining stocks of round case engines. The early 860's used a brass cam on the shift shaft where it exited the selector box.
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Thanks for the reply. So it’s just a non functional warning light to fill a hole in the panel!
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Just to confirm wot Bill said -*!^- , here it is in "Words and Music" ... :-D

wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Hahahahaha, Dazzling lights on a 750!!! Hahahahaha...................................
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Thanks for your replies Bill, Craig.
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

Further to the Neutral switch question, I'm now left to wonder what the warning light labelled "N" was actually connected to on the dash when there was no neutral switch? There were several dash panel types on 1974 750 GTs it would appear, one engraved, one with the 860 style decal, but both with the "N" light despite there being no neutral switch fitted....so what did the warning light indicate. In some photos it appears as if it's another yellow light (like the turn signal light indicator)......so was it a left turn signal indicator and the other marked with the arrows a right turn signal indicator?

Damien Birch's excellent Bevel Rubber site (and products by the way) has a useful list of the colours for the lights, showing early and late 750 GT warning light colour schemes - but my bike and other 1974's I've seen on the net seem to fall in between the gaps.

I can't find a wiring diagram for 750 GTs with no neutral switch but with 5 warning lights...and turn signals! Does anyone know of one existing and if so can they post it here please?

I've put a table below for people to comment on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
The attachment My late 750 GT warning lights.jpg is no longer available
The attachment motorbike64293.jpg is no longer available
My  late 750 GT warning lights.jpg
Norvilbob
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Norvilbob »

and the dash photos
motorbike64293.jpg
Instruments.jpg
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Norvilbob: My old 74 GT860's neutral switch was in the right hand side rear casing where the gear selector mechanism is located. There was a small brass cam that pressed against a switch when in neutral as wdietz186 mentioned. In the picture you can see the brass cam. The switch threads into the hole adjacent to the cam.

Last edited by 81mhr900ss on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

My 81 MHR has a "Side Stand" lamp that is non-functional as there's no side stand!

link to the relevant manuals: http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/#manuals
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Here are some wire diagrams I have posted on my main website: (3 for round cases)

http://www.bevelheaven.com/manuals/wires/index.htm
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

Norvilbob wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:22 am Further to the Neutral switch question, I'm now left to wonder what the warning light labelled "N" was actually connected to on the dash when there was no neutral switch?
Almost definitely - nothing :shock: . As Bill said, at the end of the 750 production period, Ducati fitted the 860 dash 'cos that's what they had on the shelf. But as the 750 didn't have the facility for a neutral light switch, the neutral idiot light didn't get wired up, nat' ...

Nowt more complicated than that, I suspect :-D .

Craig
81mhr900ss
750 GT

Post by 81mhr900ss »

Understood norvilbob: I posted the picture for you to see what it looked like on the later models should you wish to copy it if this is even possible. Your box may not have the necessary parts to do this. I just found my redundant side stand wiring today!
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

If the 750 didn't have the hardware to fit a neutral switch, all parts of a 860 can be swapped and pronto : a 750 with neutral light that works.
Shouldn't be too difficult to come by ?

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Other than the squarecase cover on the roundcase! The back cover might fit, don't know. I seem to remember my 750 harness had some dead ends in it, might have been an 860 loom. You'll have to take the housing apart to see if the lamp is connected to anything. I ended up rewiring the bike with real wires and a simplified layout along with using Sport inst. mountings, just had ign. and hi beam indicators when I was done. That was about 30! yrs. ago!

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”