MHR reg rec meltdown

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Austin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

MHR reg rec meltdown

Post by Austin »

New to this forum,after a life time wanting a bevel twin I picked a MHR that was sitting in a shed for several years and it was in poor condition,after getting the carbs brakes suspension wheels and other parts up to scratch the electrics keep letting me down,after checking everything finally went for a shake down ride turned the head light on and the fuse blew stopping the bike after stopping electrical smoke and started coming out of RR and the wires connected to it,I was able to disconnect wires and prevented more damage,took the bike to get repaired checked and new RR put on the bike went great for weeks than one morning started it up turned the light on the fuse blew and the RR was on fire, lucky no side covers the bike will be going back to the shop I was just curious if anybody had some ideas or answers
The problems have made me rethink about owning a bevel but I won't give up yet and as this my first post hope I have done it right
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Re: MHR reg rec meltdown

Post by wdietz186 »

I can't think of any inherent problems with the electrical systems other than low output and poor connections. It sounds like a high current draw probably caused by high resistance somewhere. Other than the wires the smoke was let out of has the harness been "worked on"? The connectors in the harness can corrode from moisture and cause high resistance/shorts. Pull them apart and see if there is any green fuzz growing inside. Another thing that springs to mind is a poor ground connection from the headlight to the frame/main harness. Also inspect the harness for signs of abrasion and/or crushing, could be something has been smashed together and it shorting inside the sheathing. I'd check the ground connections first.
Austin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Austin »

Thanks for the post,from what I've read it is a grounding issue and in an area that can't be seen and your right it has to something to do with the headlight,the bikes in the hands of an expert so I will see what happens
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Post by Peter Mille »

Any pics of your MHR..??
Austin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Austin »

Hi guys the bike has been repaired and checked out the stator and regulator working correctly but still don't know why the fault occurred,so I still have some more work to checking the complete harness.
I will post some pictures when it's back together
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Post by Lumpy »

FWIW I have seen intermittent electrical faults occur where the loom passes the steering head. Issues I have seen were on older bikes and the insulation wears through from years of rubbing around the steering head and electrical shorting occurs when the bars are in the right place and it`s bumpy. However I guess it may even be possible for copper strands to break in the insulation due to constant flexing over years. This may cause resistance or continuity issues.
Austin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Austin »

Thanks I will look at that,I have thought about replacing the main harness I have seen them for sale would it be worthwhile has anyone done this?
Austin
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Austin »

Finally got the bike back together and running,got some advise from the auto elect and he said I don't have to connect the white wire to the brown if I don't want to so do you think this will cause any issues as some people say the gen light has nothing to do with the charging system gen stands for general where others say you need that circut to the gen light for correct charging and I do remember the gen light going of and on when the problem happened the first time and hasn't worked since and I have read some old posts concerning a SS900 which I thought would be much the same and they need the charge light to work correctly.
Also what amp fuses should be used the fuse box has been upgraded to a 4 blade type box the first 2 are 10 amp and the other 2 are 30amp seems quite high when all the wire is probably 10amp

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”