Bosch pick up replacement.

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Bosch pick up replacement.

Post by Peter Mille »

Peter Mille
750 SS Greenframe - the holy grail

Re: Bosch pick up replacement.

Post by Peter Mille »

Bosch pick-up failure isn't an issue anymore...??

:shock:
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

never really was........ It was the WIRES from each pickup to each transducer, not the pickups themselves, those were the problem, and always will be until those original wires get replaced with FEP or similar jacketed wires.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
900tlc
Mariana

Post by 900tlc »

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share my experience.I bought some new Bosch pick ups, as pointed out at the start of this topic.
Just one small problem, how do you set up the new ones, yes the Bosch jig is the best ,but do you really need to spend £200 to purchase one? Anyway had the idea of producing a spigot and turned the diameters of 20 mm -02,( or 1 thou to our colonial friends),by 19 mm long ,and the other diameter 25mm - .02. These diameters will fit the outer bearing 20mm diameter and 25mm diameter for the rotor.Obviously the diameters must be concentric. Replicating the crank diameters.
The spigot is then assembled in to the bearing with the rotor on the 25mm diameter, then checked the gap between the pickups and the rotor,I found it to be around .35 (14thou). Doubled checked it with another rotor which gave the same gap. Disassembled the old pickups and replaced with the new ones, and setting the gap, to what was found previously. Job done.
I have come to the conclusion,the settings on the Bosch setting gauge is tight ,.04mm, due to the manufacturing tolerances of the rotor, to guarantee clearance/ correct fit. Yes my GTS is now working, had enough of bodging old wires on to new.
Thoughts?
agenders
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by agenders »

Hi there,
I am going through the same issue with my SSD and am trying to establish the correct clearance (air gap) between rotor and contact legs of the coil. From what I read you have done what I have in making a spigot for the out-rigger bearing but instead of the 14 thou clearance you mention I have set it to about 3 thou which is between .05mm and .1mm as per the Ducati manual stating the clearance when using the tool. I am now thinking that the hub in the original tool #88713-013 maybe bigger in diameter than the actual rotor itself so a .05mm clearance between the #88713-103 tool slots and the coil legs actually gives a running clearance between rotor and contacts of your 0.014" which sounds like a pretty right air gap
Cheers,
Andrew
900tlc
Mariana

Post by 900tlc »

Follow up to what I said ,I will make a confession.My GTS on tick over, would idle erractically
By pure chance,I was reading "Guzziology",Where it described the exact symptoms of my Ducati,idling erractcally.Moto Guzzi V50 mk2 have the exact same pulsar coils .
Most mechanics would reach for the screwdriver, and start fiddling with the carbs,which I so often read on this forum
Before you do that,check the timing with a correct timing tool. Idle speed now correct,cost a couple hundred quid to buy the tool,but now totally sorted. Also I use iridium spark plugs,makes all the difference.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”