860GT headlamp relay

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
rjk40
750 GT

860GT headlamp relay

Post by rjk40 »

This one has me stumped:

Does the headlamp relay pick automatically when the ignition switch is turned on, and stay on until the ignition switch is turned off? I hear mine click inside the headlamp shell as soon as I turn the ignition key to the "run " position. I would think that it should only click (make) when the flash/pass momentary switch is pulled. Unless I am reading the wiring diagram wrongly, I believe that the relay is only used to feed the high beam momentarily to indicate passing, and that the regular, switched high beam gets current from the high beam switch, and not through the relay.

Any insights are appreciated.

Regards,
Richard Kovach
Malabar, Florida
rjk40
750 GT

Re: 860GT headlamp relay

Post by rjk40 »

CORRECTION!

My mistake! The clicking noise I hear was not from the headlamp high beam/flasher relay, but rather the engine stop relay, which picks when the ignition switch is turned to the "run" position. The fact that the relay contacts are under clear plastic made it very easy to see the contacts transferring.

Apologies to anyone who spent any time looking at my lame entry.
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

no need for apologies :-)
Glad You figured it out Yourself, and will remember it in the future when You're stranded out there without ignitionkey.
You will be able to get the bike started.

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
rjk40
750 GT

Post by rjk40 »

Thanks for the reply.

To update matters, I am rewiring the bike with new wire and connectors, and adding relays for all circuits (to get the big current out of the switches, and into relay contacts), and am replacing the standard Early 1975 Ducati ignition with a Sachse unit. Given that, the kill circuit will, to the best of my interpretation of their wiring diagram, no longer ground the soon-to-be-gone questionable Ducati transducers (replaced likely by Dyna Coils, triggered by the Sachse...), rather will instead interrupt the +12VDC that feeds the Sachse control box. Good thing my first education was in electronics, as it helps here greatly.

Best Regards,
Richard

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”