Pantah Not Turning Over

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Nico
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Pantah Not Turning Over

Post by Nico »

New to me '83 Pantah has been starting and running good as gold. Started normally yesterday afternoon to go to work, get 20m down the road and it dies. Go to restart and nothing but the click of the starter and that is all just a click. Took the other bike and came back in the morning after nightshift, tank etc off and had a quick look around. Battery has 14v but then my analyzer died so cant test how much draw. All fuses checked,, quick going through of connections all good, so is there anything I am missing here ?? Two more nightshifts then I can have a good go at her but open to suggestions to ponder during the long nights pondering the Pantah Problem.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Re: Pantah Not Turning Over

Post by Vince »

Just been through this for the second time in 10 years.Its the starter brushs.Try wacking the starter with a hammer while pressing the button.Its the cylindrical gadget on the front of the engineIt probably with start then.BTW reasonable taps,its not a 4 inch nail after all.The fun bit is pulling the starter.One bolt is fine,the other is behind a few bits inside the left engine case.Very studid design.If its not the starter it maybe the starter soliniod.Try the tap test first
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

I probably should add,on both occasions this happened to my Pantah after iy had sat for at least a few months and longer on the first occasion.I thing the dust and crap tends to gum the starter up if they sit ,add any wear in the brushes and CLICK.So theres another good reason to ride the bloody things more offten
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

In addition to what Vince said - blocked starter or starter solenoid - you should also check* your basic ground connections. I say this because you say that first the bike stoppped suddenly. And then afterwards the starter motor wouldn't turn.

P.s At the age these bikes are now, both the starter and solenoid should be candidates for overhaul/replacement.

* Which means 'Remove, clean and refit' :-D
Nico
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Nico »

Thanks for the tip Vince. Did as you said and got the soft head mallet to give the starter a love tap with button pushed in. Nothing, leant down to get a better aim while holding the button in and this time when I tapped it I saw a spark. What the ??? Found the two phillip heads on the end of the starter motor holding a tab to be loose. Tightened them both up and hey presto starts as smoothly and easily as before.
I initially thought it might be the starter solenoid but with you directing me down to the starter I found the issue in a roundabout fashion. Cheers
Nico
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Nico »

We must have been writing at the same time Craig. Yes once I finish my '78 Z1000 rebuild the Pantah will be having her birthday with a full strip, paint, rebuild and rewire. :rad:
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

You tinny bugar,sounds a lot easier than draining the oil pulling the case cover and pulling half the gears off that are needed to get the starter off.Good fix

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”