Erratic Voltmeter readings

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Erratic Voltmeter readings

Post by kettle738 »

The reason I drained the tank initially was just to part empty it as it was nearly full and very heavy.......I didn't test the theory, but I suspect if both taps are off then it closes the link pipe?.....which if it were correct would mean both taps would need to be On for it to serve any purpose. I drained it fully when the flow appeared to be severely impaired and I thought the taps may be partly blocked.

Lots of early Hondas had the same system....CB450 Black Bomber for example and it's because the spine of the frame means the tank at lower fuel levels is in two separate halves...hence the need for a link pipe.....although the Bomber made do with a single fuel tap and linked the halves at the front end of the tank on little stubs which meant it had to be fully drained every time it came off.

The one thing they have in common is it's immensely annoying and turns removing the tank into a proper chore......but I will test to see if the taps do isolate the link pipe because if they do I have wrongly maligned this system and it would mean no need to drain anything.

Mick........kettle738
Craig in France
Paso 906

Post by Craig in France »

kettle738 wrote: I didn't test the theory, but I suspect if both taps are off then it closes the link pipe?
Well, that's what I thought, Mick :? ... In which case, close both taps, undo the link pipe at one end, and 'Bob's yer Uncle'! None of that Honda nonsense! Like Kev, I thought the link pipe was only to flow gas when you ran onto reserve - Yes/no?

Will be interested to hear what you find out ...
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

With the dual spigot taps, the link pipe flows on both "on" and "reserve". Just not on "Off"

No need to drain the fuel tank though. Just turn the taps to off.

.Kev
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by kettle738 »

No need to drain the fuel tank though. Just turn the taps to off.
There's the answer and thank you for it.....that will make life a bit easier next time the tank has to come off.

Mick............kettle738
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

The singles achieved the same end by a dual side independent direct flow to the carb...
Single Flow.JPG
Kev

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”