Headlamp wiring....HELP!

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Headlamp wiring....HELP!

Post by kettle738 »

Hi all, I'm new to Bevel Ducatis so everything is strange right now. My 860GTE headlamp shell is a corroded mess, surface corrosion only though, it's very solid. I decided to remove it to either re chrome or paint satin black; I also hoped to re sleeve the part of the loom that passes round the steering neck as it's hardened and cracked.

The wiring in the headlamp is slightly bewildering to someone brought up on standard Japanese fare. That said, I have taken countless photos and made my own wiring diagram so I'm confident everything will be re connected where it should be.

The wiring harness seems barely smaller than the hole in the headlamp shell and to look at it appears as if it's not going to come out of the shell without a real struggle......also the main harness loops back to become the instrument harness, so it seems that any plans to re sleeve part of it can't be done without a wholly disproportionate amount of work and risk.

Is there something I'm missing here or is it as awkward as it looks?

On another subject......the reinforcing rings for the pleats on the air intake hoses......are they supposed to be fitted internally or external?

Thanks in anticipation..............Mick.
kettle738
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Headlamp wiring....HELP!

Post by kettle738 »

Well.......I answered my own question, what looked a bit daunting wasn't in the end; the headlamp connector block and the rubber cap to the indicator relay were the most awkward, but they were easy enough and against all expectations the harness slipped out the back of the shell just fine.

I still can't replace the sleeving but I remembered I had some very stretchy, thin self amalgamating rubber tape which could almost have been made for this purpose, it even has a dull sheen like the original sleeve and made a very discreet repair.

I'd still like to know whether the support rings for the pleated inlet hoses are internal or external though.......anyone?

Mick.............kettle738.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”