Heat tolerant alternator wires

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
llewdaert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Heat tolerant alternator wires

Post by llewdaert »

I purchased a re-manufactured/upgraded alternator for my 1977 GTS from NSW- Australia-, the vendor has had the alternator rewound ,but re- used the original wire harness. The wires are too short and the internal insulation is heat damaged[ useless] the vendor is uncooperative, so I must re wire the thing myself.
Is there any wisdom on this forum about the correct wire to use? It clearly must be able to tolerate heat and oil.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

James
Bill48S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Re: Heat tolerant alternator wires

Post by Bill48S »

Good luck James, think I know where you've been shopping :-(
You might try Small Coil Rewinds in North Geelong; they're familiar with Ducati stuff but won't touch the ignition triggers (my pet project atm).
My impression from a short chat with the bloke is that they're happy to do alternator work though.

Otherwise would Gowie have a preloved spare in Adelong?
llewdaert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by llewdaert »

So I am not the only one who gets unsatisfactory service there.

I am going to attempt the repair myself. In the
event of a failure I have had good results from he small coil rewinds and I will use them for sure.
Thanks for the reply.
Cheers
James

[/b]
Bill48S wrote:Good luck James, think I know where you've been shopping :-(
You might try Small Coil Rewinds in North Geelong; they're familiar with Ducati stuff but won't touch the ignition triggers (my pet project atm).
My impression from a short chat with the bloke is that they're happy to do alternator work though.

Otherwise would Gowie have a preloved spare in Adelong?
Bill48S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Bill48S »

If you're keen to do the rewiring yourself, just Google "enamelled copper wire" and the companies who produce it have oodles of spec sheets online covering the properties of an amazing range of products.
I suspect that a fairly basic specification would be OK for our type of application. Good luck :-)
As well as Small Coil Rewinds, Peter Scott in Sydney has an excellent reputation in the vintage scene - magnetos, etc.

Bill
(BTW, a certain person is renowned for electrical probs with his race bike :lol: )
llewdaert
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by llewdaert »

The enameled wire looks ok (newly rewound) it's the rubber covered wire that passes through the oil and out through the gland, that is cactus. It seems incredible that the hard part of the job is done and then they simply re-attach the old part back onto the newly rewound part....
When I asked WTF? I was told to reattach some old 240 volt flex myself.......

Bizarre.....given I purchased an "upgraded wattage" reconditioned alternator.
Bill48S
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Bill48S »

Haha :-) Yep, that sounds about right (or trailer wire is the other favourite)
You may want to do your sums on the amps, just to be sure that 10amp wire is up to the job. Probably is, but if in doubt any local auto electrician can do the harness reconnect in a fraction of the time you or I would take.
(Says he who is rewiring from scratch, including digital circuit boards - sucker for punishment! )

The oil problem really isn't - if the connection to the alternator is clean in the first place - hence the soldered joint is sound - oil splashes on the wiring inside the gland shouldn't be a problem. Modern insulation is designed to be fire resistant and chemically inert. Don't forget that solder and copper have melting points waaaaay above engine temps.
My concern would be at the gland, to ensure that there's a decent seal around the cable, 'cos I can almost guarantee the original Ducati cable doesn't have a modern equivalent size. Silastic springs to mind - maybe the only place on a Ducati where it IS indicated :-)

Good luck and have fun :-)

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”