Rewiring a 900GTS

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Dan Crocodile
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Rewiring a 900GTS

Post by Dan Crocodile »

Hello, can anyone recommend a good auto electrician in Sydney capable of rewiring my 900GTS?

Also, what is the best locking device available (given the non-drilled front disc) that allows one to sleep at night while she sits in the garage?
1979 GTS 900
Spagjet
Mach 3

Re: Rewiring a 900GTS

Post by Spagjet »

there is a guy up here in the Maryborough area that has re-wired the majority of old bikes in this entire area, he is a mobile bike mechanic and can fix absolutely anything but his speciality is rewiring Ducati bevels. He does a beautiful job at a very reasonable price with the least amount of wires (all boxes ticked). He has completely rewired two of my Ducatis (one 20 years ago which is still electrically faultless after a lot of hard riding in all weather). I have already booked him to wire my other Ducati, I wouldn't let anyone else touch it. His name is Mark Elliott, I can give you his ph number if required. The trick will be getting your bike to his workshop in Queensland from Sydney and back again.

As far as anti-theft devices go, a six foot fence and gate and a cranky Bull terrier does the trick. I use the original steering lock when it's parked out and about, they work pretty good. Can't steer it, can't steal it. My GTS has undrilled discs too but even if it didn't I would never put a padlock on a disc. Seen way too many f#cked calipers and dropped bikes to think it's a good idea. My memory is NOT suitable for that method but you can't forget about a steering lock as you feel it straight away. For awhile I used to use a chain and padlock and locked it to stuff but it's a pain carrying a heavy chain and trying not to mark up the rims all the time etc. The steering lock is already on the bike. Wouldn't stop a few guys throwing on a ute but that never happens, bikes get stolen mostly by opportunists I reckon.
Dan Crocodile
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Dan Crocodile »

Thanks Spagjet, thanks for the quick response, it's much appreciated.
It might be cheaper to fly Mark down for a week in the Bondi sunshine! I received another number for a Sydney guy this afternoon so will try him first.
Thanks too for the locking advice - I had to say goodbye to my Dingo/Ridgeback (after 17 years) a couple of years ago which was why it had never been an issue before!
1979 GTS 900
Spagjet
Mach 3

Post by Spagjet »

there's not much nowadays you can honestly vouch for but that particular guy doing that particular job on that particular kind of bike, I would have been a bastard to not at least let you know his name. I'm not sure he would have time to hit Bondi, he's in too much demand round here but you can to and fro it with him yourself if I give you his number which is 0400 746516. tell him BJ sent you. Just having another option will almost certainly mean the guy in Sydney will be excellent but I still had to actually give you his number to click that particular universal switch, so there it is. Always nice to have choices.
Yep, a dingo/ridge cross would do it. I've always had a shed dog, you just can't do better for anti-bike-theft gear. Years ago we would ride unplanned in mobs for miles, end up drunk, the security system being to make sure your last act was to shove your legs way under the bike and sleep under it so if someone tried to steal it they had to run you over. It was a good system as you couldn't forget about it and leave it on. Bit different up here in paradise at the moment. Awaiting high court decision to see if we really are all bastards with no right to ride with more than one other bike and just never realised it before.
I saved a huge Bull Terrier from being put down for being extremely savage a few years ago, he's a beautiful dog after being settled down over a long time but he still thinks real poorly about strangers, especially at night. He's mostly black so you really can't see him in the dark yard and there is no automatic lights.
You can't be too careful with tea leaves
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Post by Aussiess »

If you are in Sydney, give Dave at Moto Italia a call for his advice on a bike eleco, he is out at Emu Plains, knows his way around bevels and knows all involved in the bevel world, he will give good advice
regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Dan Crocodile
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Dan Crocodile »

Spagjet, yours is certainly not a yard I'd like to find myself stumbling drunkedly into on any evening, that's for sure. Funnily enough, I've slept under my old girl like that too in the good ole days...

Grant, thanks mate for the contact, I will give him a call too.
1979 GTS 900
animosity
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by animosity »

+1 for getting in contact with Dave at Moto Italia - he'll set you straight. Good bloke.

Cheers.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”