Bevel race bike- wiring & electrics - questions

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Aussiess
Parallel Twin

Bevel race bike- wiring & electrics - questions

Post by Aussiess »

Hi all,
There must be someone out there who has set up their bevel for racing and like me looked at the wiring and covers /alternator etc and said, I must be able to get rid of all this!
My questions:
Can you remove the alternator on a Bosch electrics system , replace the coils with Dyna 3 ohm units and just run it off a battery? (put on charge between races).
I wish to remove the wiring harness, will modify the alternator cover to cover end of crank, and simplify with a kill switch / pull lanyard (as per Aus regs) and run it from battery to coils /ignition. No other electrics needed?
I should be able to get rid of regulator / fuse box etc?

Basically my bike has kept all its road electrics up to now, incl harness, and its time for a reduction in what is required.
I would appreciate some racers experience on what can be done on a Bosch electric bevel engine.

Many thanks
regards
Grant
Regards,
Grant
79 900SS , 82 MHR and 78 NCR Replica
Lumpy
SD900 Darmah

Re: Bevel race bike- wiring & electrics - questions

Post by Lumpy »

I reckon maybe better to loose the battery and keep the alternator. At least the alt is low down. I`ve often wondered if or how it could be done. I have an old 83 model XR500RE bush basher and she has no battery. Runs lights and all the rest and they won`t come on till the engine starts. Both my bevels are kickers and I can`t help but wonder if the big weighty batteries could`nt be left on the shelf. Honda`s wiring diagram suggests the magic is in the black box. Not sure if it can be done, mine are roadies not racers but weight saving is good regardless
ducadini
860 GT / GTS

Post by ducadini »

No, neither will do (or keep doing).

The old Ducati ignition was "self-supporting" but the bosch needs its juice (and 9+ volts).
So You could dump the alternator and all the rest, but needs a supply of batteries.
They have gotten good and best is to ask for the correct type, keeping in mind how long/how much You are going to take current.

Losing the battery is no option, as the alternator WILL produce too much and there's nowhere but the ignition to go. Guess what goes first ?
NOT the cheap bits but the Bosch boxes.
I ran it with the smallest battery i could find and had to replace those boxes. Maybe fitting a small lamp and connecting the brown terminal from the regulator could've prevented that.

I do know that on my old "points" SS, the TOTAL wiring consists of about 5 m of wire, rigged for the road.
Who needs stoplights ? If they are behind me too close, they don't have the time to hit their brakes when they see my stoplight flashing. Damned good brakes those Lockies (with the right poisonous pads :-).

ciao
ducadini
Nego i ricordi peggiori
Richiamo i migliori pensieri
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Keep the alt. and regulator, run a small battery and make your own harness .All you will need is to power the ign. system and that can probably be done with about 10ft. of wire and a switch. Total loss ign. sounds romantic and seems racy but in reality it is a pain in the butt and invariably a battery will go tits up when you need it the most [lost a couple of races that way] and the weight savings really is negligible when you get down to it.
blabber
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by blabber »

You need to talk to Enose,he's the expert.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”