Gts starter motor

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Gts starter motor

Post by bobnorton »

got the starter off, like to look inside, check brushes etc but its reluctant to seperate ,as there are no access ports fun holding the brushes in??, how does it dismantle? gear is off.------later---sorted, what a little pig,the armature had rusted to a pole ,bearings dried,brushes dirty ,all made more difficult with no detachable lead. Horrible job .
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Re: Gts starter motor

Post by bobnorton »

Starter motor all checked and cleaned, but "Y" shaped yoke that throws the bendix into mesh is very easily detached from the two ears on the ring , Its possible that the "Y" piece arms are too far appart (bent) , Is there a measurement for these arms? .
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

The Haynes and Mick walkers books show the bendix operating mechanism with 2 spacers and 2 washers on the spindle inside the case. The parts lists show a single spacer and one washer inside the case, they can't both be right. My bike is missing something and has damaged parts because of this. I need to position the operating arm correctly. What should i have?.Its an 860 gts.
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Bob, I'm sorry but I have not had one of these apart in years..... Somone should chime in here - c'mon now.....
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Steve, thanks for your interest, there appears to be two set-ups for this part , i have neither. So its going to be a guess. With the shims and spacers as in the parts manual i'm left with an assembly with end play .However there is not enough room to fit the parts shown in Walkers and Haynes books. I'm going for the parts manual arrangement Lets hope it does not break up as before!!.------Later, i have had the yoke and its shaft brazed ,this appears to be a weak arrangement, I set up the motor plumb with a lazer and used the lazer to view the bendix shaft alignment with the yoke , Its correct with one spacer and one washer,any axial shimming needs to be on the outside of the case.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Its all back together but there is still a problem, the starter is stiff to turn ,so it does not start rotating quickly enough to operate the bendix. The bearings are oiled and free , the armature is not bent, the only thing i can think of is perhaps there is no axial clearance. plenty of current being used.Anyone come accross this before?.
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Fired the beast up today, an event, as i've not had it running myself. Electric start worked and got it to tickover. Plenty to still do,but now pressing on a bit .
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

progress! This is good!

have you added a 2nd ground from neg battery to the clutch adjuster nut on top of engine? Star washer under neg strap to frame?
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

I'll put it on the list!!. Thanks Steve.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

A lot of these early Electric starts were not that strong.If it was me I would be using it when the bike is nice and warm.I would be doing the first start of the day with the kicker.Mate if you got it working you probably know that alreally,nice to hear its a goer
bobnorton
860 GT / GTS

Post by bobnorton »

Hi Vince, Bad back means no kicking, If anything,i will be working to improve the E/s, Looking into the possibility of fitting a decompressor similar to the singles to ease the load.
Vince
750 Sport [BEVEL]

Post by Vince »

Sounds like a good idea,bad backs have stopped a couple of blokes I know from riding.That would really effect my quality of life,great your persevering.Good for the mind,riding old bikes.

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”