GT 750 Spark Plug Leads

Post your 'Electrical & Gauges' FAQs, comments & questions regarding Ducati motorcycles here.
Jod
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

GT 750 Spark Plug Leads

Post by Jod »

Hello... Could anyone please tell me the correct colour for 1971/72 750 GT spark plug leads? Also did they have KLG plug caps? Many thanks, Jod
Steve Foster
Parallel Twin

Re: GT 750 Spark Plug Leads

Post by Steve Foster »

Jod (Duplo?), I have seen quite a few period photos of the '71-'72 GT (e.g. the Cycle World, September '72 issue) having the red "twirly" spark plug leads with the KLG caps. These are also shown in several shots in Ian Falloon's "Ducati 750 Bible", although there isn't a good close-up. There's a good photo on p.8 of his "Original Ducati Sport and Super Sport" which shows the red lead with thin white spirals having a black stripe down the centre. In Falloon's "Ducati Twins Restoration Guide", p.24, he mentions that:
KLG rubber spark plug caps were used on all 750s and many 860s until 1982. The red plastic high-tension lead was used until 1973, when green replaced it. Most 1974 bikes had black leads.
Haven't seen any of this type of plug lead for years - probably worth a fortune now. Ian Gowanloch did have some of the KLG caps a few years back but, again, they tend to bring big money (n x $100s where n=index of fanaticism of buyer or in some cases - but not Mr G - index of greed/opportunism of seller, usually n>2 for a pair) if auctioned on eBay.
Cheers
Steve
1974 Ducati 750 GT
Jod
Cucciolo - the Lil Pup

Post by Jod »

Hello Steve

Thanks for your in depth reply. I am after the red leads and KLG plug tops of course and now kind of know what to look for.

Probably will have to wait until I see a bike with the genuine red (or green) leads to really know the colour scheme as there seem to be a few different types available through Hot Rod sites etc.

Again cheers for your help,

Jod
machten
MHR / S2

Post by machten »

Apologies for the poor photo, but the red ones look like this...

Kev
cafe*racer
SSD900 Darmah

Post by cafe*racer »

I have some original pieces of the "red" wire and can confirm the above photo is spot on. They are really more of an orange than a true red color. You can buy repro but of course its nothing like the original. The green repro seems to be pretty close but then again I have never seen an original green sample in person.
wdietz186
Cagiva Alazzura

Post by wdietz186 »

Guzzino.com lists red and green braided Italian made sparkplug wire for about $5.00 a foot.
thessler3
Mariana

Post by thessler3 »

I agree with the picture posted by machten. I have the KLG 45 degree ends and the original red spark plug wires that came with my 73 750GT brand new. The cable ends are still serviceable but the cables are not. No, they are not for sale, I just wanted to confirm what they looked like in the early 1973 US models.
rwhc80
750 GT

Post by rwhc80 »

For anyone that requires the KLG 45 degree caps, In the N/Hemisphere, I would think Steve will either have them, or could get them. And in the S/Hemisphere Bevel Rubber has them. No Guarantees, but I'd hazard a guess that either one of those guys would also make you up a set if need be .

Cheers
Rick
I have desmo disease, I just hope they never find a cure !!!
BevHevSteve
SITE OWNER
SITE OWNER

Post by BevHevSteve »

Yes I have em in stock
Steve Allen (925)798-BEVL[2385] Ride'm, Don't Hide'm
Ducati/Euro Spares -> https://Store.BevelHeaven.com

Return to “Electrical & Gauges Shop”